Tularosa River, 360 VR

I spent the weekend at Negrito working fencing to keep the cows of the runway. I had a great time with about 30 other people. On the way home, Paul and I looped around to the north and flew us the small beautiful canyon of the Tularosa River, a remote tributary of the Gila River. I didn't know this place existed until seeing it below my trike. We followed the meandering turns of the river until the stream sort of dissipated in a wide valley. Note the new wing pattern. This weekend was my first long distance XC flight with my new Rival-X wing. I shot the video with my GoPro Fusion. If you are watching on a new model cell phone, you can pivot your viewpoint by pointing your cellphone around within the spherical view. Otherwise, use the cursor arrows in the upper left to swing your viewpoint around. I find it very immersive and its is almost like re-flying over the terrain. The video will play back in 4K, so push the quality up to the 2160s.

jeff trike's other Videos

Comments

Jeff,

This video is awesome. It is so smooth. You can't see any stitching in this footage. Just phenomenal, nice and clean. The terrain is beautiful. As a viewer, watching a 3d video makes one feel like they are flying with you with unobstructed views. What features do you like about your camera and what are the cons. I think at $699 it is kind of pricey.

On a side note, could you tell me what position lights are you using on your trike and where did you get them from?

Thanks,

Rizzy
  • Fred Snyder
    by Fred Snyder 3 months ago
    Wow that is some great footage. What a beautiful place to fly!
  • jeff trike
    by jeff trike 3 months ago
    The first con on the Fusion is the price. I bought it at Amazon and got some credit signing up and getting the credit card, plus kickbacks for using the card. That shaved about $100 off the price. I like the Fusion better than any of my GoPro cameras. I have a GoPro6 on the opposite wing.

The second con is that you need Adobe Premier to edit the video. GoPro gives you some software to generate some clips, but to merge multiple clips, add transitions, soundtracks, camera moves you need Adobe Premier. I am slowly working my way up the Adobe Premiere learning curve.

The strobes and position lights are from https://www.kestrobes.com/ They do not require much power to run. I had to create a bracket from of PVC pipe to attach the strobe and a ram ball mount to the wing tip of the wing. Took a bit of sawing and filing, and a big blob of epoxy to bind it together, plus a steel backbone I pounded into shape with a hammer and vise to give it strength. My last final touch will be to put the white strobe on the keel. Still working on that.
  • Thomas Nielsen
    by Thomas Nielsen 3 months ago
    Impressive - would it be possible to see how you mounted it. It looks like it's floating in the air next to the trike. Stabilization is even better than my Sony FDR-3000. Iam looking into the Rylo as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jeff,

Your playground is awesome. This entire video is great. Do you typically fly by yourself or with friends?

I looked at your position lights again. They look great. I checked the website you gave me, and on their website they say that the power draw is 1/3 Amps per head. That is very good. Do you have a battery indicator on your trike? Do you see any drop in battery when you turn the position lights on?

Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully some day I get to meet and fly with you.

Regards,

Rizzy
  • Damien B
    by Damien B 3 months ago
    Your new wing looks really great Jeff. What Speeds do you cruise at down to Negrito with it? What Speed do you like personally? Good stuff!
  • jeff trike
    by jeff trike 3 months ago
    Riz, the battery voltage drops a tiny bit, like 0.1 or 0.2 volts. Much less that my old strobes which would drop it 2 V. I got rid of them. I usually fly with someone on the long multiday trips, on the day trips half are alone, and half with either my hangar buddy Paul, and more recently I have meeting Damien and his guys north near Double Eagle.

Damien, I had a tail wind going down to Negrito and a tail wind coming back. Lucky me. I was cruising about 55mph indicated airspeed most of the way.

Thomas, I'll try to get a picture of the wingtip mount for you. My only minor complaint about the Rival-X is that the leading edge does not protrude a couple inches past the sail to create any easy spot to mount some lights or cameras. I have always felt you should mount the navigation lights where they are expected by other pilots, on the wing tips, not the wheel fairings. I was able to work around it and make a combo light and camera mount for my new wing, although it took me a couple days to figure out and build. The video looks even better on my PC at home. It's shot at 60fps.
    by Larry Mednick 3 months ago
    We have wing tip camera mounts coming out for our wings. Should fit others as well. Hang tight for them.
    Thanks Jeff,

I called the Kuntzleman, very nice people, had a long chat with them. My trike came with Strobes installed in it. I think it is old Kuntzleman. I hardly every use them. But the two strobes draw a lot of power, at least 2 volts. They just stopped working completely, the fuse is NOT blown, I think, the issue is with my battery, it is done. Just ordered a new battery. Wanted to install what Larry uses on Revos but the compartment is so tight, no room at all. So, ordered the same battery (Odyssey PC 680) for easy fitting. We shall see. Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.