EXTREME TRIKE FLYING

Larry Mednick flies his REVO low level at high speed. Using a variety of camera angles that bring you on board one of the most adrenaline filled flights captured on video. Witness a no hands and a one wheel touch N go, high G turns and a dead stick landing over a high tree line onto a 600' grass strip. World Air Games competition pilot, waiver, ambulance with paramedics on sight as well as custom equipment used in the making of this video. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Wesley Frey's other Videos

Comments

• Wesley Frey
    by Wesley Frey 6 years ago
    Turn up your stereo. Your going to like this one. I purchased some new equipment and am taking some classes to improve. This was Larry's concept and flying while Marsha and I recorded the video and performed most of the editing - although Larry directed and edited too.
  • Richard LaHood
    by Richard LaHood 6 years ago
    Simply the Coolest Trike Video I have Ever seen.
  • Eric Elbourne
    by Eric Elbourne 6 years ago
    Very, Very COOL......
  • Mike-in- Thailand
    by Mike-in- Thailand 6 years ago
    Very nice film - you're obviously having a lot of fun there:)
  • Tom Donovan
    by Tom Donovan 6 years ago
    Yea very nice video. Very sharp picture, what camera you using?
  • Michael Adams
    by Michael Adams 6 years ago
    Love it.
    by Paul Hamilton 6 years ago
    What if a mother or baby sees this??
  • Roger Bunny
    by Roger Bunny 6 years ago
    Larry that is some very spectacular flying. Is that your new 100% double skin wing? What is its flight envelope?
  • Wesley Frey
    by Wesley Frey 6 years ago
    I apologize to all babies and mothers who may be frightened by the sight of our video. Happy Mothers Day. I hope your babies grow up to be very safe Trike pilots.
  • Toby SkyDog
    by Toby SkyDog 6 years ago
    wow Larry. Not for new dogs?
  • Toby SkyDog
    by Toby SkyDog 6 years ago
    Does that revo respond that fast or it it just "larry". Be nice to get some "numbers".
  • John Young
    by John Young 6 years ago
    Awesome video - not for the feint hearted. I tend to keep it a lot "more square" than that - Larry must be an awesome pilot. Regards John
  • Herman Eldering
    by Herman Eldering 6 years ago
    What an inspirational flying session, man and machine in perfect synchronisation. Always exciting to see what can be done, even if we mere mortals haven't quite got to that level of experience. Larry you're a hero and a great example for us all. and Wesley you should be so proud of capturing the spirit of the display.
  • Ken Nussear
    by Ken Nussear 6 years ago
    Really nice videos, I could feel the G's from my seat here
  • Damien B
    by Damien B 6 years ago
    >>ambulance with paramedics on sight as well

I think you'd be better of with the coroner!

Awesome video Wesley and great flying Larry. Next time put a cute girl in there somewhere, so when I get excited watching one of your videos I won't feel so bad.

You guys should record the in-flight audio, it would be great to hear what Larry is thinking/saying while doing this sort of stuff.

Wesley, send me your address so I can post you my raw video and 3 weeks later I can watch the master piece on youtube :-)

Cheers,

Damien
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    Hey guys, thanks so much, sounds like you really enjoyed "flying with me" from the safety of your living rooms. :-). Many people fly trikes for different reasons, some fly to sight see, some fly for the journey and the adventure, and others, like me, fly for the pure feeling of piloting. Operating the machine, and the feel of the trike in my fingertips is why I fly. Call me crazy, but a good hour of flying involves about 20+ landings for me.

There is only one other trike I am aware of, though I have not flown the DTA Diva yet which I hear is fantastic, and surely some others, that offers me the handling and nimbleness I get from my Revo. And that would be the original Quik, the QuikR is also very awesome, but not quite like the Quik 10.6 in terms of roll rate. If you watch my hands they barely move from side to side, only a few inches at best roll me into 60+ degree turns effortlessly. One part in the video does show what happens if you hammer the controls, which I did after initial climb out. That roll is faster than most non aerobatic fixed wings planes. In any case that may not be what 95% of you are looking for in a trike anyway. But I have flown with conservative pilots, one in AZ in particular that was a straight and level flyer with only 120 hours and after coming back from the second test flight I nearly twisted his arm to take with our small competition wing, he was grinning ear to ear and choose the competition wing for his new Revo. All he did was S turns the whole flight while telling me how amazing the wing was. Having said that; most people cannot handle the small wing without transition training and it is certainly NOT designed to be someone's first wing.

NUMBERS: Some of the zoom climbs were around 2000 FPM, some of the high speed passes were around 115 MPH. Solo stall on the revo as equipped with my 10.9 meter 100% double surface wing is around 36-37 MPH and ground roll in grass is a whopping 350 feet.  Sustained climb out is 1480 FPM and you can climb out at 90 MPH and still get 1000 FPM solo. Fuel burn 2 up at 80 MPH is 3.5 GPH. At gross all of these number do not match so don't compare them to others published as it would be applels and oranges. But our Gross is 1060 pounds which I believe is higher than others. Specs available on our production wings at www.evolutiontrikes.com

We have some nice video of what our Discovery "beginner wing" can do as well when I put the "hammer" to it. In fact it broke the unofficial non sanctioned 7 year record at Trikefest in the 3 circles competition. Check video link:

Bottom line, the Revo's aim was a sporty ride with the comfort of a Tanarg, the feel of a Quik and the wind Protection level of an Apollo. * note: not "CLAIM" but "AIM". Oh yes, the REVO had hero's and mentors during it's "birth" and I am the proud father.  I guess that makes Abid a "Mother" seems fitting lately... :-)
  • Toby SkyDog
    by Toby SkyDog 6 years ago
    Thanks for the numbers Larry. It appears that roll rate is pretty important. It looks like that rolls pretty fast.
  • Flying  Frog
    by Flying Frog 6 years ago
    While I respect what Larry can do while racing around the airfield - he is obviously a competent pilot with that machine, I don't see roll rates as being very important at all on a non-aerobatic trike. I have never needed to roll my trike from 45 to 45 the other way quickly.
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    Not effectively true flying frog. When one of your wings gets caught in a thermal while you are flying mid day you are effectively having to roll 180 degrees or more to roll back to level flight in some cases. Fast roll rate allows you to effortlessly bring your wing down with less effort faster. But most people would over control such a wing anyway. :-)
  • Captain X
    by Captain X 6 years ago
    Nice video Wes & Larry,
    Very impressive!
    I liked your commentary also Larry.
  • Jonathan Martin
    by Jonathan Martin 6 years ago
    Larry, love the deadstick at the end. Your bringing a little of the skydiver swooper action to trike flying. Very nice!
  • Herman Eldering
    by Herman Eldering 6 years ago
    Larry, really appreciate the insight behind the flying. Frog I was just entering circuit a few years ago, did the right radio calls and in the process of a turn into circuit pattern suddenly faced an idiot flying straight at me and did an emergency roll to the right. Only one I ever needed to do in 11 years of trike flying but it was tough in the Airborne wing which requires heavy effort to make rapid turns. I can envisage my new Revo Sport would be far easier to turn in these types of circumstances. But the proof will be later this month after my much anticipated Revo finally gets here!
  • Dave Dodson
    by Dave Dodson 6 years ago
    That rear camera angle was very helpful in seeing how one changes direction, etc. At least to me it was as I'v never flown a trike,,,,YET! ;)
  • Alberto Rafael
    by Alberto Rafael 6 years ago
    Hola Larry, soy Alberto de Argentina, me gusto mucho. Este video me hace pensar que hice una buena compra.-
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    Over 2000 hits the first week! that's a new record for any of Wes' videos. Nice job Wes, you really have outdone yourself and taken your videos to the next level. Thanks for working with me on the project even though I am easy to work with anyway. (NOT) >:-)
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    Hola Alberto, ho appena visto il tuo trike in fabbrica, sembra davvero bello! Sono sicuro che vi piacerà!
  • Toby SkyDog
    by Toby SkyDog 6 years ago
    Larry, will you take me up and do this?
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    Hey Toby, I will take you up to 1000 feet and maneuver to the maximum the wing is rated for. That means 60 to 60 banks and 30 up 30 nose down. I will also take you to 115 MPH S+L if the air is smooth. But low level like in the video... there are quite a few people that have asked me and the answer is always no. That would be like asking to ride back seat on a moto GP bike in a real race.
  • Captain X
    by Captain X 6 years ago
    I'll admit my naiveté here, I had no idea this was not a stock Revo. I thought that was actually the point of this video, promotion of what a stock Revo can do. It would probably be good for others to know that also. Not a stock pilot, not a stock Revo.

I think that this statement best belongs attached here to the video it referenced to:

"by Larry Mednick 2 days ago ....... I feel the need to explain further that the wing I used in the last video was purpose built for pylon racing and has a triple sleeved cross tube double tip battens, no plastic flip tips and double sleeved battens to name a few. Also when I did hit VNE I wasn't cranking high G turns... Most importantly I wasn't pushing my own envelope or the aircraft's. Fly safe friends."
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    Hey David, look again. It says and has always said "custom equipment" in the description. my Revo is always cutting edge R+D as some ideas prove good while others show flaws. But my Revo is what might be available in a couple of years after hundreds of hours of testing new ideas. I am using a double hang block in this video for example which allows a shifting A frame design which changes the geometry of the wing for additional roll and a second sliding hang block to shift the CG during flight. Now that is a NEW TRICK! Also I have gained incredible yaw stability and "lost" the winglets by working on the underside shape of the wing for a change, making it extremely flat at the root and super under-cambered mid span, then flat again at the tips... Any way custom equipment means not stock...
  • Captain X
    by Captain X 6 years ago
    Cool Larry, that is cool stuff to look forward to.
  • Alberto Rafael
    by Alberto Rafael 6 years ago
    Hola Larry

Alberto of Argentina. I did not have news of you, ni de Abid.-
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    Try my email larrymednick@rocketmail.com
    by Larry Mednick 6 years ago
    10,000 hits in less than 100 days! not bad, I guess everyone liked it!
  • Mike-in- Thailand
    by Mike-in- Thailand 6 years ago
    10,001 - I just watched it again. Great stuff:)
  • Jan Ferreira
    by Jan Ferreira 5 years ago
    Hey Larry and Wes, just a few more hits on YouTube and you will have 50000 views, congrats, you will inspire a few more people to fly trikes with this video.
    by Larry Mednick 3 years ago
    200,000 hits today.
  • Richard LaHood
    by Richard LaHood 3 years ago
    I frequently send people to this video. I love showing them what trikes can do.
  • Richard LaHood
    by Richard LaHood 3 years ago
    ...this baby is about to go VIRAL.