20161229 Caldron of Hell and Jaws of Death Canyon

I have been visiting the Caldron of Hell and Jaws of Death since late 2004, for over 12 years now. However, it is only recently have I flown through these beautiful spots the way they are meant to be, down low in calm conditions. I had no clue of the existence of this place until on one of my early flights about 30 miles away for the airport when I stumbled across these two huge eroded sandstone bowls, separated by Jaws of Death Canyon. What a pleasant surprise. This flight may appear somewhat risky, and it was during several one minute long segments where my I had minimal bail out options. But between, these crazy segments I had flat areas I could set down for a rough landing, then deal with a long hike out. I did what I could to minimize the risks: my engine had been running perfectly for about 45 min before entering the Caldron, I knew the area well, I carefully checked the winds before dropping down, and when I was low, I had plenty of excess speed to pop over to flat spot to the side. When compared to other flights over water or over dense forest, it wasn't that bad. I was only "out on a limb" for about a minute as opposed to 15 min or longer over water or forest. I was aware when I was exposed and counted down the seconds until I had bail out options again. Next time I come back here, I think I'll give myself a little more breathing room by skipping the low altitude uphill, upstream passes and look at the terrain heading downhill. For my flightlog, go here: http://www.jeffsflightlog.com/2016/2016_12_29_low_caldron.pdf

jeff trike's other Videos

Comments

• Jozinko Sajan
    by Jozinko Sajan 8 months ago
    Really nice video Jeff. How amazing landscape you flew!
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 8 months ago
    Jeff. Between you and henry i think you both put out some of the best videos promoting are sport hands down anywhere. Beautiful flying without some risk there are no rewards. But great exsplanation of you flight plan. Where is this down by soccorro or tor c perhaps ive never heard of it before. Man i bet that was a fun flight thanks for sharing.
  • Walt Baydo
    by Walt Baydo 8 months ago
    Wonderful! What a great place to fly. Thanks for posting.
  • PHILIP QUANTRILL
    by PHILIP QUANTRILL 8 months ago
    Calculated risks and considered outcomes have resulted in a magnificent video. It is the enormous size and emptiness that astounds me. Huge, majestic and awe inspiring could only be accompanied by music of the same order. I'm guessing there are so many fantastic views and sights that even you only had chance to appreciate them all by watching, re-watching and editing the video. You are a true ambassador for the sport.
  • Andy Hughes
    by Andy Hughes 8 months ago
    Great vid Jeff! Phil, you said it boy!! Astounding, awe inspiring, yep!! Jeff, is your ride a Pegasus? Sure looks like mine, I have a 02 Quantum 912. Andy
    Jeff, this is an awesome video. The terrain is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Andy, the trike Jeff is flying is an Aerotrike Cobra, it is made in South Africa. A very nice rugged machine.