Trike flying is so much fun

Published by: Rizwan Bukhari on 29th Jan 2017 | View all blogs by Rizwan Bukhari

In the recent past, we have discussed a lot about accidents, In the end if you train well, take care of your aircraft and fly in safe conditions then there is nothing like trike flying :D Aviation is only as safe as you make it.

Here is a beautiful video of pure joy of trike flying.

Comments

The purpose of sharing this video is to share the pure joy of trike flying. Especially if you are new to it. There is nothing as much fun as Trike flying. :)
  • Joe Hockman
    by Joe Hockman 10 months ago
    I visited with Tom and Denise and flew with Tom a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Tom is a very friendly and knowledgeable pilot.
  • John Smith
    by John Smith 10 months ago
    I have to agree Rizzy. Flying trikes is so simple that when I hear of trike crashes I wonder how they happened. Then I watch YouTube videos of crazy approaches into marginal fields, or flying over unlandable terrain, and I realize how disrespectful many pilots are of normal safe flying practices. Not saying it can't happen to anyone, but some fliers really push their luck.
  • monty stone
    by monty stone 10 months ago
    hey riz, the ONLY thing that comes even CLOSE to trike flying is a sugar coated, sticky, red jam filled donut, yum yum!
  • PHILIP QUANTRILL
    by PHILIP QUANTRILL 10 months ago
    As with any hobby/sport it is as safe or dangerous as one chooses to make it, I suspect. Had I come to the sport younger I am sure I would have been more adventurous in my flying, but these days aches pains sprains and breaks take a little longer to repair.
    I watch Jeff Trikelife videos in awe of the beautiful country and views he enjoys and presents so very well to we the envious.
    Larry Mednick I watch mouth open, high octane exciting and educational.
    Paul Hamilton and others for superb training videos.
    I fly my little tug carefully without many personal risks but I enjoy EVERY minute of flying and playing in the skies, left, right, up and down, just like those magnificent men in their flying machines.
    I know of nothing in my life that has scared me, excited me, calmed me and given me such a huge feeling of personal well being in equal amounts.
    monty, you can, for the moment keep your jammy doughnuts ... I'm on a diet.
    Phil
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 10 months ago
    I think riz the key point here is common sense. If you fly wild and impressive you are going to eventually meet the unexpected.
    Paul hamilton pointed out i think something in another blog that has been what ive seen over the many years as a major contributor of fatalitys and that is situational awareness!!. To me mixed with flying with common sense!
    You can do awesome cross country flights , you can fly low and slow. But choosing the venue in which you do them takes common sense flying. Situational awareness has you always looking for plan b,c,d!
    Pilots like jeff, larry, paul ,henry who put out some very impressive flying do so and survive because the situational awareness they have gathered over many years of flying.
    dosnt mean their totally impervious to a trajic accident, but they have increased the flying envelope by being acustom to the many variable conditions and have the expertise to know how to navigate them sufficiantly. (THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT).
    That also takes a good degree of intelect!
    I myself do not retain information well . I kinda am a fly by the seat of my pants pilot.If it gets technical to much i get confused with overload. Keeps me from being a over achiever.
    You riz are as i have observed a pretty good gatherer of info.
    You can bet that the planning in information jeff uses in his adventurous trike tours is quite exstensively thought out.
    Being a safe pilot is knowing your personal limitations and exspanding your envelopes slowly.
    For all its worth thats my 2 cents on the subject. Congratulations on your new machine and dont strap those kyacks on for skis just yet?
  • Bryan Tuffnell
    by Bryan Tuffnell 10 months ago
    I think the key word for both fun and safety is 'control'. The majority of accidents are caused by loss of control, the greatest fun is had when you're dancing through maneuvres or feeling engaged with spectacular scenery in perfect control.
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 10 months ago
    Howdy bryan. Couldnt agree more but situational awareness is kinda like the esp of triking! Loss of control happens quickly in some instances say like henrys spiral stall video.while observing dolphins they lost situational awareness resulting in loss of control! Observing a few large cum nimbus anvil heads in the realm of your ap . Ive seen pilots totally unexspectantly negligent of how bad a gust front can ruin youre day. Loss of controll could be totally unavoidable taking off in a gust front. So truthfully loss of controll , common sense! Flying low up a river uncharted sure way to snag that invisable wire. Many times ive been religous about having that emergency lz in view. But then i drive by that same lz that looked perfect from 1000 agl and i realize hell i couldnt make a good landing there. So i update my awareness of what are better choices.
  • Bryan Tuffnell
    by Bryan Tuffnell 10 months ago
    Howdy WE, I think we're say pretty much the same thing. I love your comment that situational awareness is the esp of triking! Couldn't agree more!

I've said elsewhere that I believe the responsibility always rests with the skills in the hands and the decisions in the head of the pilot, and i believe PLBs and SPOTs and flying buddies do not affect safety (though they may allow for better outcomes should the unsafe happen). It's kind of my mantra. There are so many things we can do to foster our situational awareness and encourage the observations and interpretations we should make: leave the GPS behind and use a map. What do those clouds indicate? What is the difference between flying on the sunny/upwind side of the ridge and the shady/downwind side? Is the air qualitatively different over the lake? Et cetera. That's a real aspect of what i mean by control: knowing what to expect.

Your comparisons between paddocks observed at a thousand feet and from a car is a great example of a way for us to increase our skills without getting our feet wet. Here in NZ, sealed runway landings are very rare (once every 200 hours for me); grass strips, paddocks, beaches and roads are the norm here and as a consequence we get lots of practice. But i get wary when approaching a runway the way some are wary of dirt roads - argh, traffic!!! We develop skills in what we do, and if we choose we can broaden those skills to become better pilots. That's my goal, anyway (I've got a long long way to go!).

I dont see that flying low up uncharted rivers is in itself dangerous. There are hazards to manage, and whether or not that can be achieved determines whether or not you're in control, and is the difference between safety and danger.

If we talk about physical control of the aircraft, I'd start with the premise that the only situation that is uncontrollable is a tumble. In every other situation, given altitude, a degree of control is possible. Henry's famous video shows one person lose control and the other able to recover control. It's a wonderful example of the skills in one's hands to control a situation.
    by Larry Mednick 10 months ago
    We Just lost a long time and highly skilled aviator to a power line on takeoff from a river in His fixed wing amphibious Bacaneer last month. RIP Neal Harris
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 10 months ago
    Thats terrible news larry? You just cannot see some of those lines sometimes. I try to make a habbit of if iam cruzeing up a river i at least stay above the tree tops. Rip peace neal!
  • Tom Currier
    by Tom Currier 10 months ago
    Terrible news, Larry. Power lines crossing a river are a feared hazard for any float flyer. *usually* at you can detect them from the pattern of power poles while at altitude but on occasion there's no evidence that they're crossing and of course they are almost invisible. Checking google maps, carefully studying the river, and some local knowledge is best but sometimes you just don't have all of that. I did a river landing at a new spot not too long ago and was surprised to see a set of wires on my decent; they weren't an issue for me but they seemed to come out of nowhere and had no land based signature to give me a clue there was a crossing. I cna only imagine what he was thinking as he saw those lines in his path.

My condolences to Neal and his family.
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 10 months ago
    Good read tom that wires are not always rvealed by poles. Crossing the austrailian outback you wouldnt think wires would be a hugh problem but in fact they are very concealed and deadly. The streach in straight lines for thousands of miles but all the poles are always planted within a large gum tree! The have a thin single wire and amoungst the red oz dirt are impossable to see. Its a blast to go down low and look for roos , big lizzards and chase goats but that chance of not seeing a single strand wire one must stay totally alert. Fly safe tom