PILOT T-ERROR

Published by: monty stone on 1st Mar 2017 | View all blogs by monty stone

first i apologise to paul, he created a group discussion site for this type of FU but the comments kinda ran away on the video . this crash was entirely pilot error, 100%. preventable, and stupid! so, how can we benifit from the comments, all of which contain usefull suggestions. our being able to dissect the actual impact frame by frame provides educational info as to what actually happens, not relying on 'eye witness' accounts. i personally won't attempt flights from this particular 'curved runway' again, even though i've 'got away with it ' hundreds of times before! my 'skinny' tires/wheels will go back on, less drag = quicker take off, i had hoped that the phat tires would give me a chance of landing on a ploughed surface, which is almost 100% in this area of AZ, in the event of an engine out, but i don't think even a wide tire would prevent a 'roll-over, and haveing tried it, i don't wanna do it again. also, my lock-stops , a steering damper and cables didn't prevent the mayhem visible on my photos . why my feet weren't crushed i don't know! so i will install solid stops and restricted lock to prevent the forks twisting into 'foot crushing' mode. a gas vent with 'upside down' leak stop valve will be installed. that nifty control panel will be redesigned to NOT hurt my legs again! the master switch and kill switches will be more accessable, those few seconds smelling gas and being unable to release the seat belt and being kinda' upside down seemed a 'lot longer'. the control tube is gonna have an internal cable, the jagged ends of it coulda' stuck me! some stuff worked well! the shoulder straps i've always pleaded for worked! i repeat I'M A STUPID ARSEHOLE but you don't have to be! we all need to learn from each others mistakes. keep the rubber side down! , mostly!                                                                                                                                                                               freazier nutszoff

Comments

• Leo Iezzi
    by Leo Iezzi 9 months ago
    You wanna know something Monty? I run my GoPros during the entire time I'm in the trike. It's easy to use the remote to toggle it on and off, but I chose not to. I don't because if anything were ever to happen, I'd like for all of you to know and see exactly what went wrong in the hopes it will save another one of us.

Since I've been a member of this group and this forum, I've read about a handful of pilots who have died, and I still don't know exactly what happened. Bill Crow, Erin Storm, and a few others are just a small example of this.

There are plenty of crash vids on YouTube, and we have a choice when we watch them. You can either chose to point, laugh, ridicule, and belittle, or you can appreciate the honesty of the person posting it for the benefit of others to learn, or perhaps refresh our own minds as a reminder that things can go wrong for any of us when we least expect it.
    Some one asked how can we be more safe recently....I think it was Paul, not sure, but here's your answer. Share these moments no matter how hard it may be, or how embarrassed yo u may feel. None of us here should ever make fun of that, and I am proud to see the responses you received. That's how we all become safer....by sharing what is hard to share.

Thank you for posting the vid, it speaks highly of your honesty and integrity.
  • monty stone
    by monty stone 9 months ago
    thanks Leo.
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 9 months ago
    Gosh leo that was well said.
  • PHILIP QUANTRILL
    by PHILIP QUANTRILL 9 months ago
    That is such an important subject Leo. Accidents are unfortunate and often very sad, but better we as a community learn something from each incident. I too, like you, mount and turn on my cameras normally prior to start and warm up, with a 32gb card and an external battery connected to each one I have about 5hrs of recording on each. After every flight I download the data and clean the cards ready for the next sortie. I wish I had one on mine for my crash. It takes great courage to post our F.U's for all the world to see, we should applaud and recognise those who do.
  • Jozinko Sajan
    by Jozinko Sajan 9 months ago
    I cant better to explain it as Leo did. Everyone can make a mistake. Im sure Monty asks himself a milion times from those moment: what, why... I know well these questions and asked myself: how to hell I could do it...? In my opinion all accidents are caused by pilot. He is so experienced, he knows ALL and nothing is surprised him...and he did a stupid mistake...because he MUST to show all other how best he is, or he thinks that it cant happen to him. On the other side is new pilot who have no experience only his new pilot licence in hand. And he forgot something to check or something else surprised him. Preflight check is a pilot mistake too. Thank you Monty you showed us your accident. We all can to learn from it and I hope it will to prevent from another one.
  • monty stone
    by monty stone 9 months ago
    well said jozzy!
  • Drew Pawlak
    by Drew Pawlak 9 months ago
    Monty - thank you for sharing this story - it was painful to watch for me although probably not as painful as it was to go through it.

Leo - well said. I feel the same way. I never fly without at least one of my Go-Pros recording. My primary reason is for my family (direct and indirect trike family) to know what happened. I have asked my wife that if something were to happen to me while flying she would share that story with this community.

That being said - based on my observation (no empirical data to show right now) most accidents happen due to pilot error of some sort. I've seen rare cases where some failure of the aircraft caused the accident. This is reassuring though in that the machines - if maintained are not the primary issue - we are...and that is something I can control...well at least I hope I can.

Blue skies fellas and safe flying.
  • Bryan Tuffnell
    by Bryan Tuffnell 9 months ago
    Being a card carrying, founding member of the Stuffup Club, Monty, I'll give you a 5. My best efforts are standing on the undersurface of a hang glider, flying a paraglider while unconscious after knocking myself out on takeoff, ripping out a thousand yards of fence with a paraglider, and accidentally deploying my 'chute when snagging the handle on a gate. The point I'm making is: Monty, great try - you get to join the club, but you're still an amateur.

I make two different kinds of stuffups. One is doing something dangerous, or doing something in a dangerous way, or beyond my skills. A stalled loop attempt in a Seagull III counts, as does trying to soar a paraglider tied to a fence in eighty mile per hour winds. The second type is the 'whoa- should have seen that hedge coming' kind of brain fart/zoned out a bit sort of thing: you know, the doofus moment when you taxi into a road cone or land on a sheep. 'That parked car came out of nowhere'.

I think it's important to make the distinction. There's a danger of saying, well, where I landed was dangerous and I shouldn't have attempted that takeoff. And that's a nonsense: if we follow that line of reasoning we get to the point where we don't fly because all flying is dangerous. John Q Public thinks flying trikes is dangerous. I think he's wrong: it's hazardous but it doesn't become dangerous unless we can't cope with those hazards.

Let's say instead that each takeoff, or each portion of each flight, has HAZARDS. If we can manage those hazards with our skills, judgement and equipment, those hazards are neutralized. Then we just need to avoid the brain fart/zoned out/asleep at the wheel situation, where we do something daft in spite of having the skills to safely avoid the problem (we taxi into poles or fly into hedges not because we're unskilled but because we're stoopid).

In my rambling way, I'm saying: let's be careful with our reactions. Having an accident doesn't necessarily mean that you're unskilled, or you were doing something dangerous. It may have just been an 'oopsy'. Changing equipment or behavior in response to surviving danger is wise. Oopsies are part of being human. Monty, which ever it was, don't do it again. If you do, drinks are on you. If it's my turn next time, I'll be buying.
  • Brian George
    by Brian George 9 months ago
    As a relative noobie to this sport I have to say that this has been one of the best threads I have followed on this site. Great insight, advice and sharing. Thanks to all. And Monty, heal soon and get back out there!
  • Bill Magness
    by Bill Magness 9 months ago
    Monty,
    I have always liked having a pod for the little extra protection of the feet. Thanks for the posting.
  • monty stone
    by monty stone 9 months ago
    hi bill, agreed, foot protection in a trike accident is very important, though difficult to achieve. in my accident 2006 my trike did a 'nosestand' which would have 'damaged' my feet but for a very heavy duty full fairing . theres more to it than just hanging a fairing over the front end. mounts need to be well thought out and not trap the feet in a wreck. i'm sure the mfrs of newer trikes have considered this in their designs, especially with the relatively higher landing speeds and thus more energy to dispel. i do have a fairing for my echo but it is relatively light duty and i doubt if it would have helped much, in fact may have caused my feet to stay on the pegs and if you look at the pics i posted they would probably been crushed. i know that all accidents are different, and no one defence will work every time, but we do know that most trike impacts will involve the foot area and without feet you can't 'run away', runaway!.
  • monty stone
    by monty stone 9 months ago
    hey tussock, you 'landed on a sheep'? was that your excuse? i can't wait to read the investigating officers report! " subject was incoherrant, and smelled of alcahol and claimed he had jumped out of a trike and had 'landed on the lady sheep' jaws of life were used to 'rescue' subject . the sheep in question, known locally as 'molly' has so far, not lodged a complaaaaaaint! ". that sounds like one of those montaaaana jokes! you can tell me the truth, i won't tell, honest! we all got our little 'foibles'. you definitely got me beat in the 'stuffup' hall of blame! holy moses! i assume alcohol was involved? i'll definitely buy the drinks, but you HAVE to tell the whole sheep tale. how you met, do you still keep in touch, etc. i almost asked you if you 'just dropped in on her' but i stopped myself in the nick of time, but it was close! phew!! .
  • Jozinko Sajan
    by Jozinko Sajan 9 months ago
    I would like to hear it too... :) At Sandpoint this summer?
  • Bryan Tuffnell
    by Bryan Tuffnell 9 months ago
    Ah, that's our Monty: a sheep is involved in an accident, and Monty - always concerned for animal welfare - wants her phone number so he can show up by her bedside in his Florence Nightingale uniform, rubber gloves and extra large gumboots, carrying a bottle of fresh creek water and a bouquet of freshlying mown lawn clippings, offering sympathy, understanding and his superb bedside manner. Fantastic.

OK, for you and Jozy I'll write up the story of the sheep. Another blog, later... :-)
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 9 months ago
    Lmao. Holy moly i see a new series sitcom here! Kinda like a cross off northern exsposure and cheers with a twist of monty python only about trikers. jozzy bryan and monty could start the first episode at sandpoint ? Ill even supply the sheep. That might be better than a ping pong ternament!!
  • Joe Hockman
    by Joe Hockman 9 months ago
    Monty thanks for sharing your video and story. I think many folks can learn at least a thing or two from it. Don't beat your self up over it either. I too am a card carrying member of the stuffup club. Don't remember but maybe I joined some time after Bryan. I am convinced I invented a few ways to mess up. The real key is to mess up in a way that results in an event with manageable risk and hopefully results in little or no damage to your flying equipment and of course your body. Almost always there will be some damage to your pride and ego but that one must learn to deal with effectively. Additionally, another critically important aspect is to learn from and never repeat those mistakes. This could include a variety of things such as modification of equipment to eliminate probability of event happening again, maybe some fail safe mechanisms, stupid proofing, checklists, etc. Some times it simply requires a conscious effort to keep some specific set of risks in the fore front of your mind. Regardless of how infallible we think we are, how big our egos are, or how much we fall into the "that can't happen to me" mindset trap, we are all human and as such are prone to error. Of course some seem to be more prone to error than others and we should strive to be in this latter group. I am really glad to hear you have already started the rebuilding process.
  • monty stone
    by monty stone 9 months ago
    hey tuffy, those EXTRA large gumboots are only legal in parts of montaaaana and of course N.Z. i have to read your 'sheepish' account of how you and 'molly' met, and how deano took the blame, again, i was laughing too much the first time! you certainly can tell a 'tail'.! the molly accident, was she 'rear-ended'? tee-hee.. Ps. Is it true that you landed on 'several' sheep, consequently, ? These rumors do persist! Deano's fault? Ha ha tee hee, coledge initiation 'rite'??? Definitely more imaginative than our 'fish n' chips' to celebrate our graduation!
  • monty stone
    by monty stone 9 months ago
    hey joe, thanks for trying to bring some sanity to the blog, with that tusskut guy you have your work cut-out! he even talks funny, yep, started repairs but my replacement 'stuff' is at home in WA, but so far the trike frame seems ok. lots of bent bolts! i took my leg to the ER tonite, it's been kind of 'annoying' me, they took xrays etc but said it's a 'beemertoma' or something like that and nothings broke, except me when i get the bill!
  • white eagle
    by white eagle 9 months ago
    Monty good luck with your repairs. If you dont get finished by late july you are invited to sandpoint. Pretty sure you could fly with someome. If you get youre bird done your still invited! I know i and many others would like to meet you.