Hangaring a trike

Sun, May 19 2013 11:14am CDT 1
Dustin Woodhouse
Dustin Woodhouse
8 Posts
Still haven't acquired my first trike yet. One thing that attracted me to triking was that I had the impression I could break it down and store it in my garage, avoiding the cost of a hangar. Several trike owners I've spoken with, however, tell me that while I might be okay doing that in the short term, it becomes a pain in the rear, and adds an hour of setup and an hour of teardown to each flight. However, the nearest airpark that has hangared trikes (Lenhard OR) is a 45 minute drive from my home. There is a closer airpark (Twin Oaks, no trikes yet) 10 minutes from my home, where I could haul my trike to and setup. So for my situation, it seems that garage storage + setup is about as time consuming as hangaring it in a comunal trike hangar.

Is there a happy medium? For example, could I simply remove the wing without tearing it down completely? That would allow me to split hangar rent with someone who, for example, has an end hangar (rather than a T-hangar) with extra space. Would I be able to fit my trike with the wing in the extra space of an end hangar? Is that realistic? Or am I just trying to avoid the inevitable?
Sun, May 19 2013 03:22pm CDT 2
Robert Sumner
Robert Sumner
64 Posts
I thought the same thing when I bought my trike. That I'd just trailer it and keep it in my garage. While the first few times it was ok since I was a new pilot, I soon grew tired of the 4 am wake up to get there (1 hr+ drive) then set up by myself on ashpalt hopin there would be no gusts to screw me up. Actually after flying was more of a wind threat. Had my wing off the trike and while puching the carriage away, the wing flipped over twice due to a little gust! I almost sold my trike because of this pain in the ass. I have found a flying seasonal space in a t-hanger that I use now and it's great. I put it on small moving dolly's and just push it in sideways. Enough room for two trikes that way. I've flown more in the last month then I did in all of 2010 because of the PIA factor. I'd suggest getting a hanger and make the drive...
Sun, May 19 2013 07:05pm CDT 3
Matt Barr
Matt Barr
9 Posts
Maybe consider a Northwing wing. Mine is the Maverick 3 and it's easy to setup and fold back when not in use. You can leave the wing on the trike after removing the battens and laying the control bar under the front wheel. It takes about 15 minutes. BUT . . . nothing beats showing up to a flight-ready trike (plus pre-flight inspection of course) without the extra hassle of setting up the wing each time. Also you need to consider the wear and tear on the wing with all that movement. Probably not great. I was lucky to find a seasonal rental (6 months) at the hangar 4 minutes from my house. You may not be so lucky but I think that would be your best option. Setup and tear-down will get get old really quickly. Best of luck!
Mon, May 22 2017 06:20pm CDT 4
rick snow
rick snow
11 Posts
Older post but I'm also going through the same thing now, I have the sense to know like Robert said above it would be fine breaking it down and haliling it the first couple times but after that I would slowly start to dread going out knowing I have to set it up and break it down again. Just on the off chance anyone may come across this who can help out is anyone aware of hanger space in the Bhm / Alabaster Alabama area? All my local airport are full with a year or more of waiting lists. Thanks
Mon, May 22 2017 06:20pm CDT 5
rick snow
rick snow
11 Posts
Older post but I'm also going through the same thing now, I have the sense to know like Robert said above it would be fine breaking it down and haliling it the first couple times but after that I would slowly start to dread going out knowing I have to set it up and break it down again. Just on the off chance anyone may come across this who can help out is anyone aware of hanger space in the Bhm / Alabaster Alabama area? All my local airport are full with a year or more of waiting lists. Thanks
Tue, May 23 2017 09:29am CDT 6
Rebekah S
Rebekah S
6 Posts
Get on all the nearby wait lists asap.
Check Google Earth for grass strip and contact owners.
Find your local eaa chapter, attend meetings, learn about hangar options by becoming a part of the general aviation community.
Wed, May 24 2017 03:06pm CDT 7
rick snow
rick snow
11 Posts
Thanks Rebekah for the ideas. I did find hanger space about 40 miles away from me, worst case that serves as a temp place until the local airports have something open.
Wed, Jul 19 2017 02:35am CDT 8
Miracle Pie
Miracle Pie
7 Posts
You gotta stop listening to those "half-ton" trike fliers. Portability is the attraction of nanolight trikes!

I fly the beach one day, mountains the next. I take it with me on vacation in the back of my minivan. If you leave it set up in a hangar, you'll be limiting to flying the same location over and over and over and over. Boring!

Many of us have been setting up/breaking down every flight for decades. When you develop a routine, it can be done in 1/2 hour. Plus it has the added advantage of being an ersatz "super pre-flight" where you get to inspect every part close up.

Your hangar is 40 miles away? Too far; you'll seldom fly. Plus you could be setting up in less time than it will take you to drive that far.

Say hi to Ray and Mark there at Lenhardt's.

Wed, Jul 19 2017 02:43am CDT 9
Miracle Pie
Miracle Pie
7 Posts
Oops, looks like you moved from Oregon to Alabama.

This forum doesn't allow edits so I can correct my post above?
Wed, Jul 19 2017 03:16am CDT 10
Miracle Pie
Miracle Pie
7 Posts
Oh I get it now; two different pilots posting with the same problem. Sorry, it's late. I'll get off here before I screw up this thread any further. Sure would like to know how to edit to avoid this embarrassment.
Wed, Jul 19 2017 08:56am CDT 11
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
10 Posts
I trailer my Trike. Trike, Trailer and wing all get stored in the Garage.

I have a foldable trailer that stands up against one wall. (I Find the Trailer to be the biggest pain in the ass to setup)
Wing is stored on the ceiling of the garage using a pully system to lower and raise.

Takes about 30 Minutes to setup once you've done it a few times. Not that big of a deal really.
Wed, Jul 19 2017 05:55pm CDT 12
Mark  Taylor
Mark Taylor
1 Posts
In the past I've seperated my trike/wing and stored them seperately, each in their own trailer. The trailers remain on a lot that I own. The wing is broken down to the point where it is sitting on the A frame. I then add snap together wheels to the base bar and strap a little wheeled cart to the tail. The wing is then easily pushed into its trailer (no lifting). Setup time is not to bad as there is no transit and no lifting. That said.... If there is anyone in the greater Knoxville area that is looking to to build a hangar - I will GIVE you my lot providing I get access to it for the rest of my life. Lot #13 @ 12TN Riley Creek Airport, Paved 2600ft runway in Kingston. Mark
Wed, Jul 19 2017 07:39pm CDT 13
Robert Sumner
Robert Sumner
64 Posts
One other thing to consider is that some trikes are a nightmare to get the wing raised without lift struts or another person to help. Think air creation gt. Cosmos has the seat frame to hold the wing up while you install the compression strut. Make sure whatever you buy can be set up by one person easily..
Tue, Aug 29 2017 11:26pm CDT 14
Alexandre Leblanc
Alexandre Leblanc
6 Posts
I have a DTA combo surf and the setup to lower the wing is easy, the main are holding the wing can be folded down, great design.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.