New to Triking, Solarius 17 or Stratus 17

Wed, Mar 20 2013 05:29am CDT 1
John Shaffer
John Shaffer
4 Posts

I am an active PPG (Powered Paragliding) pilot but brand new to the trike world. Live in Lancaster County PA. Will be moving forward with a Northwing ATF and am seeking input on wings. Portability is important as I will probably be using a trailer.

Two wing options are Solarius 17 or Stratus 17. Any recommendations along with pros / cons of each are appreciated.

Wed, Mar 20 2013 02:35pm CDT 2
Rizwan Bukhari
Rizwan Bukhari
39 Posts

Solairus 17, easier to transport and new technology. If you have the option of flying both, try them and see how they fly first hand. my 2 cents
Wed, Mar 20 2013 06:40pm CDT 3
John Shaffer
John Shaffer
4 Posts
Thanks Riwan. Without a king post, the Solairus wing will be both easier to trailer and to store in a hanger. I appriciate the feedback.
Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:50pm CDT 4
Joe Hockman
Joe Hockman
28 Posts
John, If you are getting a brand new ATF from NW and ordering a new wing as well, then you will need to get the Solairus since I don't believe they are making new Stratus's any more. They might still have a few left over. If you have not yet ordered the ATF and would consider getting a used one in excellent condition then I have one for sell. I live in northern DE so very close to Lancaster. The wing I have for my ATF is the Stratus 17. Let me know if you would like more details.
Thu, Mar 21 2013 06:17am CDT 5
John Shaffer
John Shaffer
4 Posts

Hi Joe, I am going with the Solarius. Without the king post, transport and setup should be much easier. I am also looking for ideas for a trailer. As the sail folds back, I believe I can go with a smaller (10-12’) trailer with a port. Thoughts?? Ideas?? Pictures??

Thu, Mar 21 2013 03:28pm CDT 6
Joe Hockman
Joe Hockman
28 Posts
John, The ATF does not require a large trailer. I have a very small light duty utility trailer that I use to transport mine. If you plan to transport trike with wing on it (folded back) then you may need a pretty long trailer tongue. When control bar is lowered the nose of the wing will project fairly close to tow vehicle.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.