ANY GOOD ENGINE BUILDERS OUT THERE?? (ROTAX) THINKING OF CONVERTING MY SHOP OVER TO BUILD ROTAX ENGINES

Sat, Aug 28 2010 09:39pm CDT 1
MATT SHUGG
MATT SHUGG
45 Posts
CONSIDERING BUYING MORE TOOLING TO BUILD 582 AND 912 ENGINES. ANYONE OUT THERE ANY GOOD AT IT THAT STANDS BEHIND THER WORK?? I HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF BY "SHORT BLOCK CHARLIE" TOO MANY TIMES. BOUGHT A BORING BAR AND FIXED THAT PROBLEM!! NOW IM THINKING OF SETTING MY MILL UP FOR ALIGN BORE AND WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS GOING TO PAY FOR ITSELF EVENTUALLY??
Sat, Aug 28 2010 09:50pm CDT 2
MATT SHUGG
MATT SHUGG
45 Posts
I CANT FIND A MACINE SHOP THAT IS WORTH A PILE OF ROTTEN GREEN BEANS!! EVERYTIME I CHECK THER WORK I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!! ALL THE OLD TIMERS THAT ARE ANY GOOD ARE GETTING OUT OF IT OR DYING. .060 OUT OF ROUND ON A GOOD CYLINDER IS THE MACHINE SHOPS FAULT. SO ONE CUSTOM CYLINDER DOWN THE DRAIN.. ONE SPARE MOTOR NEEDED FOR THE STURGIS DIRT MILE GONE!! WE NEEDED THAT MOTOR!! GAS TIME AND POINTS LOST WERE PRICELESS TO US UNSPONSORED GUYS.. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU ROTAX OWNERS WERE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS? NOT BEING ABLE TO TALK TO TH BUILDER AND HIM STANDING BEHIND THE COMPLETED ENGINE??
Sun, Aug 29 2010 01:21am CDT 3
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
326 Posts
Lockwood Aviation in Sebring Florida is the only Rotax authorized overhaul facility in the US for the 912 series engine. Why would you go to a machine shop for an overhaul. This isn't a car motor?
Sun, Aug 29 2010 08:47am CDT 4
MATT SHUGG
MATT SHUGG
45 Posts
I NEVER SAID MACHINE SHOP DID MY OVERHAULS. AND NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A CERTIFIED MOTOR..
Thu, Sep 2 2010 09:54pm CDT 5
MATT SHUGG
MATT SHUGG
45 Posts
STURGIS IS A MOTORCYCLE RACE, AND MOTORCYCLE ENGINES RUN AT STRAIN LEVEL WAAAAYYYY MORE THAN THESE ROTAX ENGINES DO.. IF IM TALKING ABOUT MEASUREMENTS WHERE DO YOU THINK THAT THEY ASSEMBLED MY ENGINE?
BEEN BUILDING ENGINES FOR OVER 20 YEARS WITH MENTORS OF THE LIKES OF SMOKEY YUNICK.. BUT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT STURGIS IS.. WHY BOTHER...
Thu, Sep 2 2010 10:07pm CDT 6
MATT SHUGG
MATT SHUGG
45 Posts
MY KNOWLEDGE WILL BLOW YOU AWAY... TRY ME....
Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:52am CDT 7
Clyde Poser
Clyde Poser
18 Posts
I have been overhauling Rotax 2 stroke engine for 10 years. I use a Precision Manufacturing cylinder boring machine. Unfortunately they are no longer making these boring machines. You might be able to do it on a mill but getting the hole perfectly centered in the cylinder would be difficult. Then you would have to hone the cylinder to the proper wall clearance, with the proper stones to impart the crosshatching to carry the oil. Most of the cylinders I see in my shop done by automotive machine shops have way to fine honing crosshatching marks. Those wear out in less than 300 hours leaving a smooth cylinder prone to lubrication failure seizure. I also re-sleeve Rotax cylinder with new cast iron sleeves if the cylinders are cracked or too far out of round. And yes, I do stand behind my work, but so far I have had no returns due to problems of my overhaul.
Thu, Sep 9 2010 05:31am CDT 8
Dennis C
Dennis C
15 Posts
Since Lockwood Aviation is apparently the sole overhaul facility for 912 engines in the US, how much do they charge for a new limits overhaul? Are there exchange engines available as is common in General Aviation, or does one have to wait to have their individual engine worked on and returned?
Thu, Sep 9 2010 04:30pm CDT 9
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
326 Posts
Rotax 912 and 912S overhaul kit comes with a short block now so the price is slightly higher than before which used to be $10k. It is probably $11k now with the new short block. I think one has to wait but that may change in future. Many 912's will need overhauling at the same time in a few years. In contrast 2 strokes can be overhauled by many Rotax trained servicemen but their life TBO is 300 hours only. Cost of overhaul of a 582 is $3000 at Lockwood.
Fri, Sep 10 2010 05:58pm CDT 10
Jared  Stevenson
Jared Stevenson
29 Posts
I saw Clyde posted prior he would have been my recomendation. I have had two seperate engines rebuilt by Clyde great experience both times. I feel lucky to have such a reputable source so close. You can't go wrong with Clyde.
Tue, Sep 14 2010 08:59pm CDT 11
MATT SHUGG
MATT SHUGG
45 Posts
ANYONE SEE THE JOKER POSTING ON BARNSTORMERS!! ROTAX AUTH CRANK REBUILDING!! LOL

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.