Fastest route to certified trike flying?

Mon, Jan 11 2010 08:12pm CST 1
NEIL FAIREY
NEIL FAIREY
3 Posts
Gidday fellow trikers!
I am a "kiwi" located in NYC and I have a 2 seat seawing trike garaged right in Manhattan NYC!
I have not yet flown it due to the FAA change in adding sport pilot rules (and more for NYC flights). My craft is FAA registered and ready to fly but unfortunately I am far behind. I have 5.5 hours trike flying time but need a total of 20 hours to make the sport pilot license so I am looking for faster ways to get in the air. A friend suggested getting my license in a fixed wing LSA aircraft and then adding the trike endorsement. Another friend suggested getting a private pilot license. Another said he could take me up in my seawing, he as the pilot (not instructor) and give me extra flying time. All quicker routes than driving 5.5 hours to get lessons in PA and then finding out the weather sucks..... I could end up driving for 100 hours to get 20 hours flying time and taking five years to get my license.
I know I could just fly the seawing (not in NYC) without a license but I really want to follow the rules and not tangle with the FAA.
Any suggestions out there? Anyone done something similar?
Thanks for any advice.
PS. I can't wait to fly down the Hudson river buzzing at 2 ft off the water right down the same path Sully took.
Neil Fairey
Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:00pm CST 2
John Olson
John Olson
355 Posts
That's easy Neil. Go back to Kiwiland. Not that you ain't welcome here you know. Just that the rules are probably far easier to understand. You may not get to follow Sully's lead, but you'll be happier. You could come back with a Kiwi license and you'd be good to go. I wish I could be more helpful but Christ allmighty, what a mess we have.

Ole
FAA-610 "Sucking the air from everyone and everything around them."

MeteorCrater7.JPG
Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:43pm CST 3
Bill  Pilgrim
Bill Pilgrim
15 Posts

Hi Neil,
My advice, take your time and do what it takes to learn properly.
You have a long time to enjoy trike flying so the few months it may take you to get the necessary training will be nothing compared to the enjoyment you will miss out on if your dead.
There are reasons the authorities design the training course they require you to complete before flying solo, mostly it's to keep you safe.
So please for the good of yourself, your family and the reputation of the sport get yourself qualified.
Regards Bill

P.S Your instructor should be able to give reasonably reliable weather forecasts before you drive all that way.

Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:57am CST 4
NEIL FAIREY
NEIL FAIREY
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.
I am sure flying trikes in NZ would be a real blast and hopefully I will get a chance to do that sometime in the not-too-distant future.
My thread was not so much about taking an "easy way" or "short cutting" the training . It was more along the lines of what is the fastest way to get qualified to fly. Waiting to find a "free weekend" (with no proir commitments) and matching that to fine flying weather is just not working out too well for me. 2009 was a complete bust with "0" hours flown. I will never get qualified at that rate. I am checking around at some local airports to see what the cost would be to get my private pilots license. I would still book lessons on the trike whenever possible as I am still not 100% confident as a trike pilot (I am sure that will come after 100's of hours of flight time). I'll post again when I figure out what the best route may be.
Tue, Jan 12 2010 02:35pm CST 5
Jan Ferreira
Jan Ferreira
48 Posts
Hi Neil,
In my opinion there isn't an easy way to gain experience and fly safe, only hours flying will give that to you. If you fly without enough experience you will get a fright one day and it will take you longer to be comfortabe flying again. My advice is to go to a place where you can fly almost everyday and get quality training, flying midday in turbulance as well as smooth flight mornings and evenings will get you enough training and experience to go solo. Once you solo legally, you can go fly your seawing in calm conditions until you have enough hours and experience to do the check ride. My suggestion is come to Florida and train with Larry and Abid at Tampabay Aerosport. They have a place for you to stay at the hanger while you train. Come for a week or two and get it over with, it won't break your bank.
Tue, Jan 12 2010 02:53pm CST 6
NEIL FAIREY
NEIL FAIREY
3 Posts

Jan, that is a very good idea - take a week or two vacation and spend it in sunny Florida while getting all my remaining hours completed.
Sounds like a lot more fun than Disneyworld.
I'll contact Larry and see how we can work that out.
My wife my not like it but it is probably the best idea yet - maybe they have a spa nearby?
Thanks for the idea, Jan.
Tue, Jan 12 2010 08:40pm CST 7
Eric Tyson
Eric Tyson
2 Posts

Neil,

I am going to get certified there at Tampa Bay Aerosports, I went over in December and flew with Larry. He is a great instructor and I wound up buying one of their Revos. If you go fly with them you HAVE to take the Revo for a ride. I started getting certified with one of the other big schools here in America and not all schools are on the same par with the guys there at TBA. While there my wife found shopping to keep her busy in Tampa. Even with the best training and having the certification you will wind up scaring your self if you do any amount of flying, it is all part of the learning curve so get a good life jacket.

Eric

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.