Trike Instructor in northern NJ ??

Wed, Aug 19 2009 09:43pm CDT 1
squale squale
squale squale
5 Posts
I am looking for an instructor in northern NJ for taking Trike lessons. Does anybody know of one?
Wed, Aug 26 2009 08:25pm CDT 2
Adam Berson
Adam Berson
7 Posts
I'm looking for one too! Please let me know if you come across one.

I've attempted to contact the instructor listed at this website, but after 2 emails and a voicemail I have not received any reply:

http://www.njultralights.com/index.htm

Wed, Aug 26 2009 08:59pm CDT 3
squale squale
squale squale
5 Posts
Adam,
I am going to PM you with some info..
Wed, Sep 2 2009 09:10pm CDT 4
Jean-Pierre Geronimi
Jean-Pierre Geronimi
3 Posts
Guys,
I am also interested in finding an instructor in NJ let me know if you have any luck
Thu, Sep 3 2009 08:24am CDT 5
squale squale
squale squale
5 Posts
Jean-pierre, Where are you located?
Thu, Sep 3 2009 08:24am CDT 6
squale squale
squale squale
5 Posts
Jean-pierre, Where are you located?
Fri, Sep 4 2009 01:05pm CDT 7
Jean-Pierre Geronimi
Jean-Pierre Geronimi
3 Posts
I am in Central Jersey (Lawrenceville)
Tue, Nov 3 2009 09:48pm CST 8
ntvinh 986
ntvinh 986
1 Posts
I'm looking for one too! Please let me know if you come across one.

I've attempted to contact the instructor listed at this website, but after 2 emails and a voicemail I have not received any reply:

http://www.njultralights.com/index.htm

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Wed, Nov 4 2009 02:09pm CST 9
Steve Pattinson
Steve Pattinson
4 Posts
Contact Stephen at www.njultralights.com

Good luck
Fri, Feb 12 2010 03:12pm CST 10
Jacob Kahn
Jacob Kahn
1 Posts
Hello, I am 14 and live on Long Island. Please I want to fly already. I am going to take lessons when the right age comes I just need a place to do so.

Thanks,
Jacob
Fri, Feb 12 2010 04:30pm CST 11
Adam Berson
Adam Berson
7 Posts
Jacob

As mentioned above, you can try Stephen at NJ Ultralights, swp [at] njultralights.com. It's likely a 1.5 to 2 hours drive to him from Long Island, so getting all your training there could be a long process, but he tells me he has students who come from further than that. He's been flying for a long time; I took a very brief intro flight with him a few months ago, but we had to cut it short due to winds. Maybe I'll try again in the spring.

I've personally had better luck finding instructors in other parts of the country while traveling, than I have here in NY/NJ. Warmer areas like Florida, California, Arizona, Hawaii, where there are often better conditions for flying. Even with all the traveling I do for work, in 5 years of trying I've only managed to get 3 or 4 lessons in. I don't say this to discourage you, but rather so that you know that you'll have to keep at it and it may take you a while. You seem very excited about it, so I hope you are successful!

Good luck.
Adam

Thu, Feb 25 2010 12:41pm CST 12
Stephen Warburton-Pitt
Stephen Warburton-Pitt
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Snowed in today so just come accross this site. Thanks Adam for the comments, you are right there are not the instructors for trikes in the US that there should be. It seems that with the transition to Sport Pilot not many of the exempt instructors even tried to convert. Having been through the process it was extensive and required a lot of time and a lot more money to get a CFI rating. As soon as we get into spring we will be flying and remember I try and be available every day the weather is OK. Mostly early mornings which tend to be best for training. A lot of students actually stay over and we can sometimes get 2-3 hours in a morning.

I have been flying trike since 1983 and really never flown much else I think I only have 27 hrs on Cessnas and a few on helicopters but still see trikes as the ultimate aircraft.

Blue skies everyone.

Kind Regards

Stephen
NJ Ulralights
Thu, Feb 25 2010 12:57pm CST 13
squale squale
squale squale
5 Posts
Stephen,
Glad to see you found this site! I talked to you a little while back, I live in Northern, NJ (very close to Newton actually). I am still very interested in learning to fly Trikes, although my budget is still a little limited as I'm sure most people's are... (economy really hurts right now!) Anyhow, I would be interested in learning more about possibly buying my own trike because after speaking with you, it sounds that having your own trike is really a must since I wouldn't be able to solo in your trike due to insurance reasons, etc. Of course without being able to solo you can't get your ticket so it sort of 'forces' you to buy your own trike. Either way, I would want to own my own trike either by myself or with a partner one day, much easier to keep cost per hour of flight down. Have you gotten a list of people interested in buying a trike that may be looking for a partner?

Thanks again for your help!

P.S. -> Adam, are you still interested in buying a trike or did you decide against that idea?
Mon, Mar 1 2010 09:00pm CST 14
Adam Berson
Adam Berson
7 Posts
Kevin
I haven't entirely ruled the idea out of my life, but it's heavily on the back burner for now. Until I either move to the suburbs or at least keep a car in the city, I'd never find the time to complete the training or even fly the thing. The plan for now is to just pick up a few lessons here and there, and maybe one day I'll wake up to a full logbook of instruction.

Stephen
I'll give you a call when the temps are warmer. Hope that concrete apron is finished by now!

Adam
Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:30am CST 15
Paul Hamilton
Paul Hamilton
220 Posts
I thought I had every trike instructor in the US.
Guess not.
I just added Steven NJUl;tralights to the best trike locator for the US at:
http://trikepilot.beasportpilot.com/sport-pilot-locator/

Steven, I will send you a personal e mail on how to update your listing.

If any one else knows a trike instructor that is not on the map please notify me or the CFI so we can get them listed.
Sat, Mar 6 2010 02:06pm CST 16
Stephen Warburton-Pitt
Stephen Warburton-Pitt
5 Posts
Thanks Paul, I will look for the e-mail. Yes I am still here in what is today sunny NJ, just need the snow off the runway!

Regards Stephen

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.