Which Sport Pilots License endorsement to get first.

Mon, Dec 18 2017 02:44pm CST 1
Brian Pollock
Brian Pollock
1 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered, but can't find a search button for the forums....

I am thinking of getting my Sport Pilots License and I specifically only want to fly Trikes. Is it better to get training in an airplane and then transition to WSC Trikes or do all my training in WSC?

I can train in a Cessna 162 close to my home in Carlsbad, CA. The closest Trike training would be in the Los Angeles area 2 hours away.

Flying in the congested SoCal airspace, I would also need/want my Class B/C/D Airspace endorsement.

Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:32pm CST 2
Rizwan Bukhari
Rizwan Bukhari
54 Posts
If you only want to fly trikes, then just train in trikes. Save the money and get the best training you can in getting your licesnse and edorsements.

My two cents.
Tue, Dec 26 2017 09:04am CST 3
Larry  Mednick
Larry Mednick
38 Posts
What ever you do, start flying trikes first and then you can start flying fixed Wing. Switching that order could add a lot of time to your Trike training.

You are lucky to be only 2 hours from a Trike flight school. Most people have to fly commercially in to the schools and do intensive training, which is not a bad option either.
Tue, Dec 26 2017 08:49pm CST 4
Heather Davis
Heather Davis
2 Posts
As stated before, if you want to fly trikes, get trained in trikes. If you like, train for a private license and you'll be able to fly into all that airspace. Or just get a B/C/D endorsement with a sport license. I've gone the other way, training for fixed-wing as flex-wing pilot. My trike experience really didn't help that much except for knowledge. The physical skills and appropriate gut reactions are amazingly different between planes and trikes.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.