Transporting trikes in moving van

Sat, Dec 2 2017 04:29pm CST 1
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
Hello, can anyone tell me the best way to transport a trike in a moving van with limited people? Any expierences doing this and/or recommendations? Wing will fold down and seperate so the reaming 550 pounds will go in the truck. Would it be better to rent a flatbed trailer instead of something like a uhaul van? Thanks
Mon, Dec 4 2017 07:22pm CST 2
Bill Chance
Bill Chance
19 Posts
I once carried mine 800 miles in the back of a pickup with the wing bagged and strapped to the side supported by about 4 straps including one hanging off the mirror. Of course you can't get in or out using the passenger door. Will the trike fit in the back of a truck?

Carried in a U Haul truck will keep it out of the weather except for the wing which will need to be strapped on top. Be sure to pad bolts, nuts, and everything else on the wing that can rub a hole in the wing fabric. Make sure you remove or tie off the prop to keep it from turning.
Mon, Dec 4 2017 08:10pm CST 3
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
Thanks Bill for the reponse and advice. Obviously I've never transported one before, was planning to get a 26 footer uhal and that way the wing folded down could also fit in .... just was not sure on logitics of getting up in there and how many people it took and so forth. I'm not sure it would fit in the back of a truck though.

Just today I've been very lucky to be offered a trailer and help from a CFI who's going to help me get from a to b safley for me and the trike :) The wing has vortex generators and I'm not sure if they come off so your advice on padding any of those areas is great. Again appreciate the response happy that I won't have to uhaul it this time, haha my next would have been can someone tell me how the best way to to weld the frame back together .... it fell out of the back while unloading ! Take care
Mon, Dec 4 2017 10:34pm CST 4
Bill Chance
Bill Chance
19 Posts
Good deal. Some wing vortex gen are rubber plug looking things that are left on with no problems. Some are harder and stuck on with Velcro.

Trikes are pretty easy to push up some wood planks onto or into a trailer with just a couple of folks . But they are tail heavy so be careful it doesn't flip backwards on the prop if the ramp is steep. Good look with the trip!
Tue, Dec 5 2017 08:54pm CST 5
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
thank you Bill given that info I'll to pull from the front and let others take the back! haha thanks again

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.