Aeros ANT - M25Y

Sat, Nov 18 2017 12:04am CST 1
Tom Stephens
Tom Stephens
3 Posts
My first post here. I like the simplicity of the Cors-air M25Y. Can those of you who have flown with the new M25Y comment on its vibration level?

Our airport is at 2100 ft. Generally, we may be flying up to 4000 ft AGL. At our clothed weights (I weigh 160 lbs, my friend 175), is that too high for the M25Y?

We know that the other option is the Polini 250, and of course, more power, more reliable, smoother, but I just can't get over the simplicity of the M25Y.

Tom

Tue, Nov 21 2017 04:16pm CST 2
Frank Dempsey
Frank Dempsey
9 Posts
I think you're in pretty good shape Tom as long as you keep soaring as the what you want to achieve. I flew an ACE Magic Simininni 26 hp at my airport (5800 MSL) for a few times around the pattern. She would only climb about 100 fpm and at full throttle. I weigh 220 lbs. I was guessing the engine wouldn't last very long if I were going to use it to try to go somewhere. With the ANT, you should be thinking about soaring (shutting that engine off in lift). If you want something to putt you acroos the countryside, I would get the larger engine or better yer, get an ultralight like the REV. Frank
Fri, Nov 24 2017 11:44pm CST 3
Tom Stephens
Tom Stephens
3 Posts
Thanks Frank,

I waited a few days to see if there would be any other replies. Everything I have read says the M25Y is marginal. I really don't want marginal. The smartest thing would be to go with the Polini 250, but I don't care for water-cooled. I've been reading more on the Polini 200. I see they have had carb/heating problems. There seems to be the possibility that has been solved. I like the fact it's also counter-balanced like the Polini 250.

Tom
Sun, Nov 26 2017 05:58pm CST 4
Joe Hockman
Joe Hockman
43 Posts
Tom, for what it may be worth, here is my opinion. In a light trike I believe an extra margin of safety is obtained when one has and excess of thrust available. This margin is sacrificed when one is stuck with the power of a marginal engine. I will never forget how the experimental work I did with different redrive and prop combinations on a 26hp Simonini Mini 2+ yielded a 15 to 20% increase in thrust. That work saved my bacon one day when I was doing stupid stuff flying low over a reservoir up into the various fingers/coves and I got a bit too far into up one cove to do a 180 safely. I had to count on my maximum climb rate to clear some 50 to 60' pine trees. What surprised me is that late in the day there would be considerable sinking air right into that cove that I had to climb through. I cleared tree tops by no more than 2 to 3'. I am certain that had I not spent time optimizing the thrust from my little Simonini and found myself in that same situation, I would not have cleared the trees. Key point is: 1) in the vicinity of rising air there are also pockets of sink. 2) if one gets caught in a such a pocket for a few more seconds than expected while at very low AGL, you better have access to sufficient climb rate or bad things can happen, and 3) it is best to plan up front when contemplating a trike purchase that it is equipped with an engine that will deliver more than marginal climb rates for the heaviest pilot that will fly it.
Lastly, sure there are pros and cons for a water cooled 2-stroke but the pros far out weigh the cons. From every thing I have been hearing the Polini Thor 250 is a very slickly designed and engineered engine. There are many pros, but in this comparison of 250 vs M25Y, I am only focusing on the 44% higher power level of the 250. I suppose a con here would be it costs more than the M25Y and it is just a little bit heavier but I view those as minor down sides in this context. The additional wing loading of 4.5kg (250 vs M25Y) on any of the Aeros wings is actually quite small on a square foot basis. I weigh very close to your weight and I would not even think twice about the M25Y option. Just my opinion and free advice.
Tue, Nov 28 2017 11:41pm CST 5
Tom Stephens
Tom Stephens
3 Posts
Joe,

I very much appreciate your opinion on the power issue. I've pretty much decided to stay away from the M25Y for your reasoning and the vibration issue.

Interesting what you said about flying up into a cove. Sounds like a similar, but better outcome than the new Icon A5 that was flying into a cove in Lake Berryessa this past May and never made it out.

Tom

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.