Tukan Trike Rebuild

Wed, Oct 25 2017 11:08am CDT 1
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Any interest in a thread detailing a complete ground up restoration of a Tukan Trike (Same as the Saber trike)

From this: (The Day I bought it)
Day I bought the Trike

To This:
1st Flight

I took a ton of Photo's along the way.
Wed, Oct 25 2017 11:20am CDT 2
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Rear View:

View from rear

Custom Dash:
Dash
Wed, Oct 25 2017 08:20pm CDT 3
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
First Up on the Rebuild was the front Suspension,

Crusty

Old Front Suspension 1

Tires are shot too:
Not Pretty

Much Better:
Red

Tukan Trike front suspension

Wed, Oct 25 2017 08:31pm CDT 4
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
At this point I need to figure out what to due about the horrible folding design of this thing,
And the Gas Tank setup has got to go.

Tukan Trike Rebuild

Tukan Rebuild
Wed, Oct 25 2017 08:48pm CDT 5
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Little Story about the Trike, I bought it off a Boat Dealer, who got it in a trade, Guess the Old Man who owned this trike passed away several years ago and the Trike just sat in a Barn for many years until the kids used it as part of a trade on a boat.

I bought it none running condition, Knowing full well what I was getting into a complete tear down (or Project as I would call it)
The Bonus was the original pilot kept detailed Log Books for airframe, engine, flights you name it, So I knew this bird was taken care of at one point in time.

I decided I was going to inspect every piece, every nut, every bolt, washer, cable EVERYTHING.

I started by removing each piece, stripping the paint, Sanding the aluminum, polishing the alumunum, replace any questionable hardware,
Hour by pain staking hour, day by day.

Slowly the Green Turd was becoming a shinny turd.

Shinny Tukan

You have no idea how many hours of stripping powder coated green paint, sanding, wet sanding, more wet sanding, even more wet sanding, polish, polish again, and AGAIN, there was to just get here

Tukan Trike Rebuild

Wed, Oct 25 2017 10:09pm CDT 6
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Also on the list, Complete Rotax 503DCDI Rebuild, Luckly crank was good, So re-honed, new pistions, rings, all new gaskets and seals, yaadaa yaadaa. Proper crankcase gasket sealer was used, new plugs, wires, set ignition timing and air gap, You get it

Pictures are better: Interesting thing the engine came with intake silencer, muffler and muffler silencer, Former pilot even wrote down the issues we had getting it jetted properly and listed all the different jets, needle settings etc is his logs.

Rotax 503DCDI

Hate Exhaust springs, so upgraded to these babies:

Rotax 503DCDI

Rotax 503DCDI

Thu, Oct 26 2017 09:29am CDT 7
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Going to start today off with what I call Phase 2 of the rebuild.

At this point the egine has been rebuilt and mounted, 95% of the frame has been refurbished, New tires and tubes installed, and the trike is sitting on all 3 wheels.

You'll notice that I cut off the top mast, This was after sleeving the Square tube with another tube (For added strength) After I install some brackets I can fold the mast down here instead of folding the entire trike (engine and all) at the seat this was a really stupid deisgn.

I've also installed a 4 point quick release harness. MUST HAVE FOR ALL PILOTS TRUST ME.... THEY SAVED MY LIFE.

The idea with the seat belts is that when I have a passenger, the passenger will get both a lap belt and the shoulder straps, The other 99.9% of the time the Pilot will get both lap and shoulder belts,

Up next is to do something about those horrible seats, if you can even call them that as its just a long rectangle of foam,

Phase 2
Fri, Oct 27 2017 09:37am CDT 8
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
SEATS: Time to do something about the God Awefull Seats that came with this Tukan.

Here is a picture of the Prototype front seat, using just crappy foam. FYI (And to bad I figured this out afterwards) If your looking for foam, people have a tendicy to put there old couches at the side of the road, great source of foam to play with. I probably wasted a good $100 in cheap foam just building the seats, changing the design and building again.

This is the final Prototype for the Front Seat.
Tukan Seats1

The Back Seats: With the Shoulder Harness pass threw.
Tukan Seats

In the Trike with the 4 point harness configured for Front Pilot only.
Tukan Seats

Front seat done in Proper foam: 1 inch of high density impact foam on the bottom, Couple inches of medium density foam in the middle, followed by 2 inches of soft memory foam on top. Makes for an extemely comfy seat.

Tukan Seats

Fri, Oct 27 2017 10:27am CDT 9
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Back from Upholstery. Notice the New Tank,

Krucker Tank, from Michael Percy www.AirtimeAircraft.com 850 974 5483. Awesome guy to deal with
The Tank drops right in with the provided brackets, and matches the shape of the Tukan Frame perfectly, holds 40 liters of Gas as a bonus
Tukan Rebuild

Tukan Rebuild

Good shot showing the 4 point Harness attachment points
Tukan Rebuild

Tue, Oct 31 2017 09:20am CDT 10
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
My Original Instrument POD was just a Square Box. Had to do something about it, I really liked the open cockpit style of trikes (instead of a full fairing) Plus being 6'4" Tall I wanted to be able to stretch my legs once in awhile. (Couldn't do that in my instructors airborne trike.

Here is the original Instrument Pod. (Still have it if anyone wants it (You pay shipping)
Original Pod

Original Pod

I had searched the Net for a decent open style dash, However everything was overpriced, not for sale seperatly, or the manufacturer wanted near $1000.00 dollars for their "cockpit" (After shipping and exchange) . That was until I went out for a rip on my Supermoto Bike and noticed a buddys Yamaha YZF R6 and thought the cut out on the fairing would match perfect for the compression strut on the trike.

YZF R6

Quick check on Ebay And I could have all the parts: Fairing, LED nose light (strobe) and windshield for about $100.
Kit looks something like this:
eBay fairing

Bought myself a harbor freight Plastic Welder some ABS plastic and went to work...... First I had to learn how to plastic weld. it's very much like stick welding.

Here you can see I've welded in the black plastic pieces and am using ABS pipe glue (From the plumbing deptarment) as bondo/filler (Bondo wont stick to ABS)

Plastic Welding

Plastic Welding

Lots of welding, glueing and sanding, add some Krylon Plastic Fusion paint, and it's starting to look like something.

Custom Cockpit

Final Product Featuring my Fly360 flight computer: www.flykobo.ca only $285.00 Canadian

www.flykobo.ca

Side View:
Side

Front:
front
Tue, Oct 31 2017 02:24pm CDT 11
Joe Hockman
Joe Hockman
43 Posts
Mikael, I was just looking over your pictures and WOW you have turned that Tukan into a beauty. Clearly you knew what you were getting into when you said a complete strip down and rebuild, but the end product looks fantastic. I'm guessing you put in hundreds of hours but I can imagine that it has to be really rewarding too. One of many advantages you have, is that you really do know the condition of each and every bolt, structural member, etc. Congratulations ! I hope you will have some awesome air time ahead.
Wed, Nov 8 2017 08:01am CST 12
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Found some pictures from my Uphostery guy when we finished the seats and prop covers. Awesome Work both seats and 4 prop covers around $300.00

Completed Seats and Prop Covers

Wed, Nov 8 2017 08:05am CST 13
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Mikael, I was just looking over your pictures and WOW you have turned that Tukan into a beauty. Clearly you knew what you were getting into when you said a complete strip down and rebuild, but the end product looks fantastic. I'm guessing you put in hundreds of hours but I can imagine that it has to be really rewarding too. One of many advantages you have, is that you really do know the condition of each and every bolt, structural member, etc. Congratulations ! I hope you will have some awesome air time ahead.

Thanks for the kind words, and Yes hundreds of hours put into this aircraft. But I am the type of person that would rather be doing something with my hands then watch TV.

I was rebuilding the Trike while taking lessons and getting my Pilots License (required here in Canada) So this build spans over 2 years

Wed, Nov 8 2017 08:27am CST 14
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Side Panels. Had to do something to cover up the sides. A lot of thought went into deciding the material to use. I tried very thin plywood (to heavy and ridgid) Plastic (To expensive) Cloth (Not sturdy enough). Was having beers with a friend of mine who owns a Graphic company that prints signs, stickers, etc, He suggested Coroplast... the stuff they print all those Voting signs on. It's Cheap, Strong, and formable.

Where I am mocking up the fitment.
Side Panels

Underside (You simply crease the Coroplast and you can bend it along that edge)
Side Panels

Underside (The Green Tape will be velcro for easy on and off.)
Side Panels

I decided I wanted streamlined side panels with just small pockets for maps and stuff, 99% of my flying is local and I don't need to carry a lot of gear for everyday flying, Figured I'd get "Side Bags" Made later for Cross country type flight (Plus I have a TON of storage UNDER the seats)

Back from my Upholstery guy and another fantastic job by Andy, All attached with velcro
Finished Side Panels

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.