Any experienced pilot flew trough the rockies?

Tue, Aug 29 2017 07:10pm CDT 1
Alexandre Leblanc
Alexandre Leblanc
6 Posts
Im planning a cross country flight soon and i would like to get some advice regarding flying in the rockies.
I have read quite a bit online but its always people flying with plane, havent found any information of someone flying in a trike.
I read that its better to fly windward side of the mountain than leeward.
I would be flying from hinton to valemont to golden to banff and out the rockies following the VFR route.
My route is planned with re-fueling station calculated on a day with low wind (lesss than 10 kts) flying only in morning and evening.
Any other advice?
Thu, Aug 31 2017 02:05pm CDT 2
Doug Boyle
Doug Boyle
168 Posts
You can get 2000 fpm Down when leeward. Approach at a 45 degree angle to the Ridge when leeward.
Thu, Aug 31 2017 02:08pm CDT 3
Doug Boyle
Doug Boyle
168 Posts
Lenticular clouds will indicate a "Standing Wave". Get with the local sailplane pilots for regional advice.
Sat, Sep 2 2017 03:16pm CDT 4
Joe Hockman
Joe Hockman
43 Posts
Good advice Doug. One can easily encounter sink on the leeward side of mountains and ridges that far exceed the climb rate of any trike. Never underestimate what you may find when flying around jagged terrain. Ideally your trike should have a practical ceiling well above the terrain you plan to traverse.
Tue, Sep 5 2017 03:43pm CDT 5
tom speirs
tom speirs
59 Posts
I'm in glenwood springs co GWS if you are around give me a call 979-618-5896
Tue, Sep 12 2017 07:08am CDT 6
jeff trike
jeff trike
77 Posts
Avoid passes and canyons. All they do is concentrate the wind in a venturi. The safest way is to climb at least 1000 ft higher than the terrain on the upwind side and stay high until at least 10 miles downwind, then descend cautiously, and go back up if you are trashed. Early morning is a must, but be wary of down slope morning winds. Evening is not worth the trouble because you can't fly long and you are racing the clock to land. Practice estimating the wind vector by flying circles.

Most importantly, work up to this gradually with 2hr day trips before going for it. Wait for a calm winds aloft morning, it is difference between a beautiful Zen flight and the most terrifying flight of your life.
Tue, Sep 12 2017 08:02am CDT 7
jeff trike
jeff trike
77 Posts
One final bit advice. Seek out Colorado backcountry pilots and attend their fly-ins. Then fly with them. Some of their bush planes are almost as slow as a trike. I think there is a fly-in at La Garita next weekend. Google it, sign the waiver, and go.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.