Concerns over radio traffic

Wed, Jun 21 2017 05:23pm CDT 1
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
So the few times I've been out training/flying , I've had a very difficult time understanding any of the local taffic. Its usually garbled and static, and although I can pick up a few words or numbers I never seem to get enough to know who/where/or what they are doing. I thought maybe it was the headset but found at a different airport with different instructor/equipment it was the same way. Is that normal, does it get better with practice, or do most people just accept it as a part of flying? Any recommendation on how to make it better, isthere anything equipment wise that's better than something else?
Thu, Jun 22 2017 09:39am CDT 2
Lucian Bartosik
Lucian Bartosik
66 Posts
Rick, the Equipment that MicroAvioncs makes is first class and at a reasonable price when compared to the other known brand good equipment out. With that said, no matter how good your own audio equipment it, it will depend on what others are using if you want to hear a clear transmission. If others are using crap then you will probably hear crap. You may alos need to consider the antenna that is being used and where it is placed, because that too determines how clear you transmit or receive radio calls. I can help with headset helmets etc. that you you may need in the future so you please get in touch when you need them.

Of course if you are new to flying there may also be some familiarization you will need to experience. All that chatter sounds confusing to anyone at first, but as you get more accustomed to what is being said, it will seem more familiar and understandable to you. Maybe ask your instructor if itn sounds just as garbled to him as it does to you, to find out if it is signal or unfamiliarization on your part.
Thu, Jun 22 2017 05:18pm CDT 3
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
Hi Lucian thanks for the feedback I'll have to look to see what equipment it is, possibly could be the antenna as well as you mentioned. The instructors seemed to be having about as difficult time as me with hearing/understanding many of the calls. Just wanted to get back feedback from others on what to expect going forward, as a newer pilot in training that one of the frustrating aspect so far. thanks again.
Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:30am CDT 4
Lucian Bartosik
Lucian Bartosik
66 Posts
Well if your instructor is also having problems understanding the radio then something is not right. You might try listening on a hand held on the ground, to air trafic transmissions and see if that sounds better to both of you. If it does then it is probably something in your aircraft's equipment. If it still sounds bad then it may well be poor equipment in the other aircraft at your airport, but that sounds almost impossible to be the case. I could understand one or two aircraft but not all of them.

It is a good idea just to sit on the ground and listen to radio transmission with a hand held to aclimate your ear and brain to radio chatter around the pattern. Before long you will find you are understanding more and more of what is being said and will be able to picture in your mind what aircraft is where in the pattern which will help with your situation awareness tremendously, making you feel more comfortable and confident in the air.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.