To windscreen or not?

Mon, May 22 2017 06:14pm CDT 1
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
Hello new aspiring trike pilot here, regarding windscreens do you recommend them or not? On my first ever trike ride I found it very difficult to hear the radio communications around airports using a headset and helmet with face screen. Does the trike windscreen cut down on noise as well does it make for a more pleasant ride, expecially in the fast trikes? Thanks for the imput.
Wed, May 24 2017 03:04pm CDT 2
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
Thanks Philip I had figured that would be the case but would only know by owning one or asking those that do, so thank you. I can definetly see the difference between the old and new shield.
Wed, May 24 2017 03:05pm CDT 3
rick snow
rick snow
16 Posts
and forgot to mention but was thinking it, nice trike !
Tue, May 30 2017 01:18am CDT 4
Marc Habermann
Marc Habermann
4 Posts
Hi Philip,
indeed nice machine. As I would like to reduce noise (mainly at advanced speeds), I´m considering to enlarge my current baby sceen.
Question: did you feel any negative effects due to the bigger screen? I heard that size of frontal surface area may impact flight characteristics...

Thanks!
Sun, Jul 30 2017 11:35pm CDT 5
roger larson
roger larson
6 Posts
Windscreens are great. Keeps the wind from hitting your body and head. Some people at least with motorcycles prefer the windscreen just below eye level. The angle of the windscreen usually pushes the air up and over so the full size isn't needed. The passenger wind is another story. The short windscreen is often not enough. The area behind the windscreen creates a low pressure area. I have three motorcycles and the windshield size and shape on each is very different. I was surprised this last week when I flew in the Revolt. I was in the back seat area and Larry had the windshield on and I felt litterally no wind in my face and no pressure on my helmet even with the visor up. Larry flew slow and as fast as 80 MPH. Larry demonstrated how quickly the front roll cage and windshield can be removed. The only way to really know how each windshield shape and size will work is to be behind it while in motion.

Mon, Jul 31 2017 07:56am CDT 6
Paul Hamilton
Paul Hamilton
238 Posts

Note the added frontal area can cause added adverse yaw and not have the wing/trike TRACK into the wind as good. Generally the faster you go the more effect. It is like putting a rudder, wheel pant, or wing tip rudder in front of the CG rather than in back.

I really like the tall windshields because it creates less fatigue, quieter, etc... but be careful of this aerodynamic characteristic in modifying your trike.

Thu, Aug 3 2017 03:42am CDT 7
Mikael Markow
Mikael Markow
6 Posts
Hi Philip,

Your screen looks good :-)
What material did you use and how thich is it?

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.