To windscreen or not?

Mon, May 22 2017 06:14pm CDT 1
rick snow
rick snow
11 Posts
Hello new aspiring trike pilot here, regarding windscreens do you recommend them or not? On my first ever trike ride I found it very difficult to hear the radio communications around airports using a headset and helmet with face screen. Does the trike windscreen cut down on noise as well does it make for a more pleasant ride, expecially in the fast trikes? Thanks for the imput.
Wed, May 24 2017 07:41am CDT 2
PHILIP QUANTRILL
PHILIP QUANTRILL
10 Posts
Personally I just love my larger screen. My trike Air Creation Trek 582 came with a small standard screen. I looked at a Morris screen as sold in the UK, troble finding one so I made my own. Behind the screen zero wind no buffetting just a much nicer experience. I have the Lynx helmet with lifting visor and frequently lift the visor in flight. Horses for courses. SCREEN1.jpgSCREEN2.jpgSCREEN3.jpgSCREEN4.jpg
Wed, May 24 2017 07:43am CDT 3
PHILIP QUANTRILL
PHILIP QUANTRILL
10 Posts
82HRa.jpgThis was the original screen
Wed, May 24 2017 03:04pm CDT 4
rick snow
rick snow
11 Posts
Thanks Philip I had figured that would be the case but would only know by owning one or asking those that do, so thank you. I can definetly see the difference between the old and new shield.
Wed, May 24 2017 03:05pm CDT 5
rick snow
rick snow
11 Posts
and forgot to mention but was thinking it, nice trike !
Tue, May 30 2017 01:18am CDT 6
Marc Habermann
Marc Habermann
4 Posts
Hi Philip,
indeed nice machine. As I would like to reduce noise (mainly at advanced speeds), I´m considering to enlarge my current baby sceen.
Question: did you feel any negative effects due to the bigger screen? I heard that size of frontal surface area may impact flight characteristics...

Thanks!
Wed, May 31 2017 05:05am CDT 7
PHILIP QUANTRILL
PHILIP QUANTRILL
10 Posts
Hi Marc.

Just to make clear, I am not an engineer and have no qualifications in design etc. I have simply played around with the design after looking at other similar commercial designs.

The only "negative" effects I can confirm is at speeds above 100kph my ski suit, winter attire, sucks forward slightly and I'm assuming this is from the vortex created behind the screen. The second is that if the screen is not maitained very clean, landing into the sun can become problematic as is driving into the sun with a car screen dirty.

I have flown 60+ hours solo and two man with the screen, passengers tell me that behind me there is zero wind buffet/turbulence. In flight she seems to handle exactly the same, I climbed to 3000' amsl where I threw her into turns and felt nothing different. I did find that in level flight with the bar pulled back to my chest I could attain 135kph and the only discomfort was my arms pulling back the bar. I have an Ixess 15 with a vne of 155kph with a 582 blue top.

Moving her on the ground takes a little more care as the compression bar is not as accessible due to the height of the screen. I am going to try make another screen and then slowly reduce the dimensions to see what effect that has.

Personally, very happy with the results, horses for courses.

Good luck

Phil
Sun, Jul 30 2017 11:35pm CDT 8
roger larson
roger larson
6 Posts
Windscreens are great. Keeps the wind from hitting your body and head. Some people at least with motorcycles prefer the windscreen just below eye level. The angle of the windscreen usually pushes the air up and over so the full size isn't needed. The passenger wind is another story. The short windscreen is often not enough. The area behind the windscreen creates a low pressure area. I have three motorcycles and the windshield size and shape on each is very different. I was surprised this last week when I flew in the Revolt. I was in the back seat area and Larry had the windshield on and I felt litterally no wind in my face and no pressure on my helmet even with the visor up. Larry flew slow and as fast as 80 MPH. Larry demonstrated how quickly the front roll cage and windshield can be removed. The only way to really know how each windshield shape and size will work is to be behind it while in motion.

Mon, Jul 31 2017 07:56am CDT 9
Paul Hamilton
Paul Hamilton
237 Posts

Note the added frontal area can cause added adverse yaw and not have the wing/trike TRACK into the wind as good. Generally the faster you go the more effect. It is like putting a rudder, wheel pant, or wing tip rudder in front of the CG rather than in back.

I really like the tall windshields because it creates less fatigue, quieter, etc... but be careful of this aerodynamic characteristic in modifying your trike.

Mon, Jul 31 2017 09:23am CDT 10
PHILIP QUANTRILL
PHILIP QUANTRILL
10 Posts
My first design did cause an air pressure drop between me and the screen resulting in the inflation of my ski suit (winter kit). I have retrimmed the screen keeping the same width but reducing the height by about 3" (75cm). I now have no noticable air pressure drop between me and the screen, my suit no longer inflates and I am still experiencing the same comfort level. I can lift my visor (Lynx) without wind in my face or wind buffet.
Thu, Aug 3 2017 03:42am CDT 11
Mikael Markow
Mikael Markow
6 Posts
Hi Philip,

Your screen looks good :-)
What material did you use and how thich is it?
Thu, Aug 3 2017 09:41am CDT 12
PHILIP QUANTRILL
PHILIP QUANTRILL
10 Posts
Thank you Mikael. It is a 2mm thick plexiglass, I cannot remember the exact name ans will check next time I am in the store. It is highly flexible and can bend it very sharply without cracking or crazing. Cutting a 1" strip can nearly tie a knot in it without breaking. Did tests with fuel and has no effect. I cut it with a jig saw with a fine blade and drill holes with a standards HSS drill again slowly but no catching, snagging or splitting. Scratches rather easily but if I have to change it every two years then its not too much of a heartache.
Fri, Aug 25 2017 02:50am CDT 13
PHILIP QUANTRILL
PHILIP QUANTRILL
10 Posts
20170824_113025[1].jpg20170824_113008[1].jpg
Fri, Aug 25 2017 02:56am CDT 14
PHILIP QUANTRILL
PHILIP QUANTRILL
10 Posts
This is the product I've used for my screen. Cut it into 1" strips and tied it into a knot without it cracking. Washed it with petrol with and without two stroke oil, no problems. It is, as are other products soft and susecptable to scratches, mine is two years old, about 80 hours flying and needs replacing now, flying with the sun directly in front is becoming compromised and landings late evening will soon become more difficult. At 35-40 euros for a 1metre x 1 metre and nearly double for the 2metre x 1metre it is not too expensive. Just to avoid any misunderstandings, I am not an engineer or in anyway qualified to advise or instruct in the use of materials, just offering my opinion.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.