GA pilots, your thoughts on trikes

Tue, Feb 14 2017 01:43pm CST 1
Bob Lemke
Bob Lemke
6 Posts
I moved to an airpark in SW New Mexico 10 months ago to renew my love of flying that had been dormant for 37 years. I thought some STOL a/c would be the ticket for my flying. I didn't know trikes were so popular in this area so I started researching and it has my interest. As mentioned my flying was almost 40 years ago with most of my air time in hang gliders, and much less time in GA aircraft.

For those of you that have switched from GA to weight shift, can you tell me why you did?
Wed, Feb 22 2017 09:04pm CST 2
Steve Owens
Steve Owens
10 Posts
It is a whole lot cheaper: cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, etc. Also, they are a lot of fun to fly on nice days.

Downside: There are a lot of days that you can't fly a trike due to weather when you could fly a real airplane.

My solution: I bought a trike for the nice days and am joining a flying club to use a real airplane on the days I can't fly a trike. Keeps the cost down and allows for more flexibility of mission.

However, I should mention that I already have a single engine land pilot's license, I don't know if I would bother with the real airplane side of the equation if I had to start from scratch.
Wed, Feb 22 2017 09:32pm CST 3
Bob Lemke
Bob Lemke
6 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll enjoy getting back into flex wing weight shift aircraft. With the hangar at my home early morning flights will be easier than getting up extra early and going to the airport. I've contacted an instructor (Jim Britt) based in Albuquerque and for a slight bump in hourly rate he will trailer his trainer to my hangar. I'm just waiting for a 2 day wind window so that it can get done in one trip. I plan to fly a single place FAR 103 trike that should make the flying even cheaper.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.