Commercial Use of Trike Ultralights

Wed, Feb 1 2017 06:35pm CST 1
Carlito Frias
Carlito Frias
26 Posts

Hello All:

I would like to start a discussion on the commercial use of Trike Ultralights. I stand a good chance of getting an exemption from the non-commercial-use rule for ultralights by the Civil Aviation Authority, Philippines (CAAP). I say that because the newly elected President Duterte is quite radical locally, as Trump is globally. This puts the other government officials in a think-outside-the-box frame of mind, I believe.

My plan is to form a franchise for an aerial tour using trike ultralights. The franchise will provide the Trikes, train and monitor the pilots, monitor and maintain the trikes. The areal tour will then be franchised out to the local resorts.

Having a franchise ask for the exemption would be advantageous.

1. It would mean only 1 entity being given the exemption, even though it would involve multiple aircrafts.
  2. It would be easy for CAAP to monitor. Discipline, if necessary.
  3. The pilots and aircrafts will be very closely monitored and supervised, both by the franchise (the business depends on it) and by CAAP. This would mean a big advantage to the riding public as far as safety is concerned.

Kamron Blevins, owner and president of Northwing has endorsed this idea and promised his support. I would like to see how the pilots feel about this. If I get an overwhelming approval, this would be another argument/evidence that I could use when the time comes to talk to CAAP about getting that exemption.

What would a commercial-use-of-trikes mean to the trike pilot community? You could come to the Philippines and tour the country on a trike rental. How does that sound? We could give you pointers on the best places to fly to, the nice areas to fly over, provide you with a guide or a programmed GPS on the trike to guide you.

If we are successful on this “experiment” in a small country like the Philippines, perhaps other countries can follow suit.

Any idea, opinion, pro or con is welcome.

Thu, Feb 2 2017 10:38pm CST 2
John Olson
John Olson
407 Posts
Well I think it's fabulous and wish you well. I am in... some other country and they are ****ing rides here and they make no bones about it. So many happy peeps!
Tue, Feb 7 2017 05:37pm CST 3
John Olson
John Olson
407 Posts
Just hilarious how no one will comment on this.
Tue, Feb 7 2017 06:16pm CST 4
John Olson
John Olson
407 Posts
Carlitos, you see: it is a no-no to be operating a bitchin' flying machine like the ones we love for hire in America. They give us an exception for flight training and they want us grateful about that but otherwise we are not allowed to earn a living in our trikes. Period.
Wed, Feb 8 2017 10:20am CST 5
Robert Sumner
Robert Sumner
64 Posts
Hey John, I think there's another issue other then the FAA in the way. The issue of our sue-happy society. All it takes is one person to trip over the drag link or hit his head on the side strut of the wing and get a little bump and there's a lawsuit which would take all your profits and put you out of business. Case in point. Here in Oregon a baking company refused to make a cake for a gay couple's wedding for religious purposes. The couple sued and were awarded over $300k in damages thus putting this long standing bakery out of business and depriving all it's customers of their favorite baked goods. The lawsuit should have never been allowed, but we live in America. This is the norm... Quite Disgusting..
Mon, Feb 13 2017 11:55pm CST 6
Carlito Frias
Carlito Frias
26 Posts
That's why I retired in the Philippines. With the right connections, I may be able to pull this off. It may take some time but I am optimistic. Will keep you guys posted.
Wed, Feb 15 2017 06:45pm CST 7
Robert Sumner
Robert Sumner
64 Posts
I wish I had a way to retire. I think I would move out of the us as well.. Yes, keep everyone informed with your biz plan...

Fri, Feb 17 2017 10:27pm CST 8
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
353 Posts
That is "NOT" considered commercial use. Its simply rental of aircraft which is allowed in the US now for any SLSA trike. Commercial use is something different and there is something going in front of the FAA for commercial use of all Light Sport (not just trike. But who knows how far it will get.
Sun, Feb 19 2017 11:48am CST 9
Ted  Bailey
Ted Bailey
14 Posts
So how many are renting SLSA trikes with out the 100% deposit? How much an hour wet? For SLSA trikes in the USA?
103 trikes would be legal for renting in USA? Anyone renting them? How much an hour, wet? Any insurance for 103 rentals?
If you operated as a private club or maybe a non-profit? Trying to grow some 103 triker numbers before 103 trikes break the 30k
entry price level?
Tue, Feb 21 2017 06:06pm CST 10
Robert Sumner
Robert Sumner
64 Posts
I bet the biggest problem would be the insurance. How would you verify the renter is qualified to fly since no license is req'd for part103? Are you going to look into it Ted? 103 trikes can't possibly hit the 30k mark. Could they?
Sun, Feb 26 2017 02:31pm CST 11
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
353 Posts
No one is renting SLSA trikes because regardless of being allowed by law, there is no insurance available for anyone else except named pilots. We have a sue happy society where everyone is trying to blame someone else when they screw up
Sun, Feb 26 2017 06:05pm CST 12
John Olson
John Olson
407 Posts
Am I the only triker who will rent you a trike??!
Looks like it.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.