Trike accident stastics

Mon, Dec 26 2016 04:16pm CST 1
Paul Hamilton
Paul Hamilton
237 Posts
In an effort to look at trike accidents here are some statisits from a semi reliable source posted in one of the other blogs:
by Abid Farooqui 1 hour ago
This query gives all the fatal accidents in the NTSB database for Weight Shift trikes from Jan 2011 to Dec 2016 in the US

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/Results.aspx?queryId=bddd5ad5-5007-437b-9e4c-38edd1fe6218

Two pages. Some stupid accidents like a Northwing almost ran into the wires by the pilot so he banked past 90 and went in the river etc.

Here is the breakdown by Make/Model All the reports can be read on the query page
18 total fatals in the US for 2 seat trikes in 5 years
4 Revo
4 Airborne XT-912
1 Airborne Edge Classic
2 Northwing Apache Sport
2 Northwing Scout
1 AirCreation Tanarg 912 w/ Reflex Sport wing
1 P&M Quik
1 Top Dog TD2
1 Aerotrike
1 Aquilla
by Abid Farooqui 22 mins ago
To me all the fatal accidents in the US point to "lack of comprehensive training/No signoff for solo", "decision making", "Stalling the aircraft on steep climbout", "Modifying aircraft illegally", "Flying too low", "Lack of landing skill on solo (same as lack of enough training)"

From my previous analysis of 2004 to 2009, there were 17 fatal accidents.
Now from 2011 to 2016 period there are 18 fatal accidents.

What this tells me is that the trike flying safety has not increased in the US. It's basically the same. This despite of Sport Pilot Rule and training by CFI in effect compared to Ultralight BFIs mainly between 2004 to 2008.
Mon, Dec 26 2016 05:32pm CST 2
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
353 Posts
One thing that should be noted in digging into these accident reports is that a significant number of them have older, new to trikes, pilots. In my opinion trikes are physically more demanding than some other categories. It would be interesting to do a comparison of how many new pilots coming into trikes are older (above 60 years of age) and are they mispropotionally represented in serious accidents.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.