james williams
james williams
11 Posts
photo (5).JPG
Wed, Dec 14 2016 10:06am CST 2
james williams
james williams
11 Posts
Hey guys. I'm curious why trikes aren't designed with more protection for the pilot? It seems to me that a lightweight "pod" could make a difference on some (not all) accidents. These "pods" could have simple panels that snapped into place for winter flying. Thoughts?
Wed, Dec 14 2016 06:26pm CST 3
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
353 Posts
Because that is not necessary. In PPC and PPG world those are necessary because they flip over quite a lot.
Wed, Dec 14 2016 10:46pm CST 4
Larry  Mednick
Larry Mednick
36 Posts
I Really like that idea...
Wed, Dec 14 2016 11:52pm CST 5
james williams
james williams
11 Posts
Not necessary? Hell most safety items aren't necessary, until you crash, then there kinda nice to have. I have to be honest with ya, it kinda freaks me out when i log on to this site and the first thing I see is "Another Fatal Accident". I feel that it's better for the people enjoying this sport to determine what is necessary before the Feds do it for us. Jus say n.
Thu, Dec 15 2016 11:12am CST 6
Paul Hamilton
Paul Hamilton
237 Posts
James, yes interesting. I guess some pilots like to publicise dirty laundry. No wonder triking is having a hard time growing.
Fri, Dec 16 2016 06:23pm CST 7
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
353 Posts
The Feds already did it James. They came in and help create minimal design and continued airworthiness and QA standards. It freaks you out that there are a few people who have fatal accidents in trikes. Have you seen how many die in airplanes each month? Look at monthly NTSB aviation accidents report sometime. Dozens upon dozens. Or how many die in car crashes each hour around the world.
Sat, Dec 17 2016 01:15pm CST 8
Chuck Tabbert
Chuck Tabbert
7 Posts
James
This seems like a good idea. We've had a few incidents where folks have landed hard and their ankles took a beating. Your configuration looks like it could mitigate that from happening
Chuck

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.