Connecting a Flycom FH-1V to IC-A6

Fri, Nov 25 2016 06:47pm CST 1
Marcelo Varanda
Marcelo Varanda
1 Posts
Hello All,

I am shopping for Helmet/Headset system and have read many related posts and the winner seems to be Flycom (despite the fact that microavionics UL200 seems to not be far behind). Anyways... I notice that Flycom has a Solo Interface for ICOM but they charge 115GBP + S&H and tax. Question: Can the Flycom jack be connected directly to the radio in case I use the radion's own PTT? My trike is single seat. I am almost considering getting GA version as I already have GA to ICOM adapter. Do we get better deal in North America via Flycom dealer/distributer? I am in Ottawa-Canada BTW.

My plan B: I have 3 David Clark H10-13.4. Does anyone found a good shell for it (other than the expensive K10 Helmet kit) ? It this path worthy considering?

Thanks in advance,
Marcelo
Sat, Nov 26 2016 07:26am CST 2
Jackye  Reynolds
Jackye Reynolds
18 Posts
Hi Marcelo!
I just recently bought the Flycom solo interface for my A6, and I wished I had the money to just purchase the intercom instead but I do find that the power for the solo interface and helmet speakers is drawn from the radio's battery. It pulls down the power quickly so if you have an Icom mobile power / charging adapter that would be advisable also! It is not just a straight in shot of 12 volts however and must be stepped down with the Icom power adapter or equivalent wiring for the A6.
Sat, Nov 26 2016 08:30am CST 3
Ted  Bailey
Ted Bailey
14 Posts
Hi Jackye,
Did your flycom solo interface/PPT come with the funky hand mike in the middle? Seems they changed from the first ones we bought.
Might be better to have the radio interface/PPT done at a local shop and get a copy of the ones flycom sold a couple of years back. Don't
like the new set up at all and need 3 more so the helmet goes from trike to trike as a plug and play.
Sun, Nov 27 2016 06:51am CST 4
Jackye  Reynolds
Jackye Reynolds
18 Posts
Hi Ted! Yes it came withthe funky mic inbetween. I had tried Todd Halvers with my helmet and A6, and his was the old style I guess! I have not flown with mine yet, but hope to soon. Was there a problem with the mic in the middle other than the convenience of transmitting and listening with the helmet off?
Sun, Nov 27 2016 08:15am CST 5
Vassili Tarakanov
Vassili Tarakanov
27 Posts
Hi Marcelo,
"have read many related posts and the winner seems to be Flycom (despite the fact that microavionics UL200 seems to not be far behind)."
Don't read posts, try by yourself. In fact, UL-200 is much better regarding sound quality. It is normal because ANR-VOX used there, + it has the best PNR protection-double shell Peltor. I have several friends who removed Flycom from their trikes and installed Microavionics UL-200 after trying it. Try and you will never say UL-200 is behind something. I have all MA headsets-helmets and some Lynx equipment left in stock.
If you want inexpensive Solo setup, I have a headset with in-line PTT and Icom adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aviation-Airband-Radio-Headset-for-ICOM-IC-A6-A24-A14-Rexon-RHP-530-external-PTT-/252654646783?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT It is perfectly fit into UL Microavionics helmet for example.
About David Clark, probably possible to remove some foam from inside of MA or Lynx helmets to fit it in. But I'm not sure it is a good idea.
As you are in Ottawa area, you can drive to me (Saint-Lazare), try and buy everything you need. 450-202-7772 My website http://www.airtrikes.net/introduction.shtml
Sun, Nov 27 2016 09:07am CST 6
Ted  Bailey
Ted Bailey
14 Posts
Well that's great for a panel mounted radio in a podded trike, but in an open stick trike radio access is good and all you have to do is unplug the radio interface and you can use the radio without a helmet. In open trikes my experience has been if you do not secure you comm stuff it gets buffeted by the wind and over time the small wires in the cables fracture and you lose comm's. so to have an item like the handheld mike in the mix is just one more wear point for a cable failure unless you tie it down. I think I will take my older style down to the motorola guys and see if I can get it copied.
Tue, Jan 17 2017 08:55pm CST 7
Lucian Bartosik
Lucian Bartosik
66 Posts
Marcello, if you have not got yourself sorted out yet send me a message and I will help you gert the best you need without anything extra. You have been told that the MicroAvionics is the better system and that is true, offering more functions and features with excellence all round and a good price as well. You can't beat it and I can offer you two options for your needs with your radio.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.