Crating and shipping a trike?

Mon, Sep 19 2016 09:39pm CDT 1
Jeff Gilbert
Jeff Gilbert
11 Posts
I'm also looking at an Air Creation Clipper 912 that would need to be shipped from Seattle to Atlanta.
Anyone have any experience with crating and shipping? Are we talking $500 , $5000, ....? Would you trust a trike that had been shipped that way? (After-all, they come from France in a box)
I can get a round trip airline ticket to inspect it for $350, but I dont think it would fit in my carry-on bag on the way home. Wink

Thanks again,
Jeff
Wed, Sep 21 2016 08:45pm CDT 2
Doug Boyle
Doug Boyle
168 Posts
Hi Jeff, Someone will have to build a crate for it first. Then, you take all the dimensions and overall weight, and go shopping (online, too). You can truck it across the country for somewhere around $200-750, plus insurance! Being able to pick it up at the Depot saves a lot of money.
Mon, Sep 26 2016 10:06pm CDT 3
Jeff Gilbert
Jeff Gilbert
11 Posts
Thanks Doug.
I ended up getting a different trike that I could trailer home myself.

But for posterity, here is what else I learned (not much)
To try to get an idea of shipping, I put a request for bid on uship.com for a wild guess of 5'x5'x8', 600 lbs. I didn't get any bids. I described it as an aircraft, which may have scared off some potential shippers.
I talked to Bill Willmeroth at Deland Barnstormers. Apparently he circles the country picking up and delivering just aircraft. I didn't get an exact quote from him, but got the impression it would be $2500 - 5000

Cheers,
Jeff
Sat, Oct 1 2016 11:45am CDT 4
Abid Farooqui
Abid Farooqui
353 Posts
It would be around $2500 or less with trike (uncreated) simply secured in an enclosed car hauler with wing bagged, including insurance. We send them that way around the country. You need to know where to look. These car hauling services fill their long trailers up before a trip west or trip north and so on so they pickup when they have enough to fill the trailer. You have to wait for that may a couple of weeks sometimes. $5000 is ridiculous. That is what it costs to airship a trike in a crate from here to Europe.
Mon, Oct 3 2016 03:39pm CDT 5
Michael Kocot
Michael Kocot
23 Posts
Just do the oneway ticket to the aircraft, rent a uhaul at the airport and drive it back yourself. Thats how I got mine.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.