Experimental Exhibition ?

Mon, Sep 19 2016 09:16pm CDT 1
Jeff Gilbert
Jeff Gilbert
11 Posts
I'm a Hang-2 pilot, shopping for my first trike.

I'm looking at a 2009 P&M GT450 that is licensed as "Experimental - Exhibition" and I'm trying to understand the gravity of that desingation. The opinions I've heard so far range from "avoid at all cost" to "no big deal, just send an ambiguous 'program letter' to the FAA every year and dont worry about it." Of course all things being equal, I'd rather not deal with it, but, if the price is low enough to compensate, well....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff
Mon, Sep 26 2016 07:16am CDT 2
Steve Beste
Steve Beste
18 Posts
Jeff, I too researched this on the internet and found the same range of advice that you did. In particular, one place said you could fly within 300 miles of your home base without naming each flight, that being part of routine maintenance flying. That would cover just about everything I do! But another cite hinted - only hinted - that those flights all had to start and end at your home base; no cross-countries. Of course, nobody wants to ask the FAA for clarification, lest that result in more restrictions. And they probably don't want to give any clarifications anyway. Does anyone have the real answer on this?
Mon, Sep 26 2016 07:28am CDT 3
Steve Beste
Steve Beste
18 Posts
Poking around again just now, it sounds as though the restrictions are minor. Your risk is that the FAA might change the rules. Since you get a new authorization letter every year (as opposed to once and for all with most Experimentals), you are exposed annually to any changes. That's probably a low risk - unless there's some big scandal regarding Exhibition aircraft and the FAA feels pressured to do something.
Mon, Sep 26 2016 07:36am CDT 4
Steve Beste
Steve Beste
18 Posts
The latest official word seems to be here: http://www.warbirds-eaa.org/forms/Deviation%20Memo%20PDF.pdf
Mon, Sep 26 2016 10:31pm CDT 5
Jeff Gilbert
Jeff Gilbert
11 Posts
I talked to the FAA inspector whose signed off on the exhibition classification of the trike. She referred me to Section 10 of this document:
FAA Order 8130.2H (PDF, 6.2 MB)
Its a more recent version of the document that Steve cites above.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.