Florida airfields for starting US adventure

Thu, Jan 14 2016 04:10pm CST 1
Michael Stalker
Michael Stalker
4 Posts
Hi all.
I am a UK pilot whom, in 2018, intends/hopes to fly coast to coast to coast of the US in my UK registered flexwing microlight.
Nothing is set in concrete yet, other than the 6 weeks I have have requested off work for the adventure.
I hope to set off around the time of Sun N Fun 2018 (if it is mid April).
My microlight (a Quantum 15-912 G-BZIM) will be sent via shipping container, early 2018, a number of weeks/months prior to the start of the adventure.
I intend collecting the trike from the as-yet undecided port (Eastern seaboard somewhere), as soon as possible after it arrives.
I will then take it to an airfield for building and storage. I expect this to happen late January or February. This to ensure everything is ready and set for April.

So, can anyone suggest or recommend a suitable airfield, trike friendly, in the Florida or the South Eastern seaboard area , where I would be able to rent a hanger, or hanger space, for the building and storage of my microlight.

I realise its still 2 years away, however I am holiday in Florida (inc attending SunNFun) this year, 2016, and, based on any suggestions, I plan visiting the airfield(S) in question to assess and lay the initial ground work for 2018.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Sat, Jan 16 2016 10:52pm CST 2
tom speirs
tom speirs
59 Posts
Hi Michael If you're passing through colorado you are welcome to come join me , live in aspen and have a hanger in Glenwood springs KGWS altitude 7500 and I will also fly with you somewhere .IM actually from Scotland and moved here 15 yrs ago .I may even be back in the uk sometime visiting family .If I can help in anyway reach out sounds like a fun plan may even join in the adventure from Florida 001 9706185896 see you at fun n sun 2016 Tom
Thu, Jan 21 2016 05:59am CST 3
Michael Stalker
Michael Stalker
4 Posts
Hi Tom,
Initial plans (see below) had me routing further north around your area in Colorado.
Reasoning, avoid the highest mountains and visit Yellowstone.
Aspen was a 'target' however, I had percieved the risk too great (weather/the unknown), but your reply is making me rethink.
I have no objections to you (or anyone) joining in parts of the adventure if it can be done without preventing me straying too much from my goal of flying coast to coast to coast.

Obviously the map below, may be nothing like the route I fly, the weather will untimately dictate my route.

I am from Drongan, in Ayshire, now living in Kilmarnock, flying from Strathaven airfield. If you do return to visit family, I'd be very happy to take you up in my flexwing and let you see some of those sights you left behind...

Definately enthusiastic to meet and have a chat with you at sun n fun 2016. My last Sun n Fun, I did the Splash in, Friday all day and Saturday AM for the baloon launch. This fitted in well with other family members plans, so I envisage doing similar this time.
Cheers, Michael 044 7450514286..

route.jpg
Fri, Feb 19 2016 05:34pm CST 4
Doug Boyle
Doug Boyle
168 Posts
Hi Michael, Some Florida areas for your consideration: East Coast, Valkerie airport (south of Melborne); Herndon airport (west of Jacksonville); Mid-Florida airport (X55), north of Orlando, West Coast: Venice (KVNC) airport, south of Sarasota; Quest hang-gliding airport, Groveland, FL; Zephyrhills airport (northeast of Tampa). There are Trike pilots with hangers at all these airports that I know. Sounds fun!
Tue, Mar 1 2016 08:37pm CST 5
Michael Stalker
Michael Stalker
4 Posts
Thanks Doug, exactly the info I need.
I will visit as many of these airfield as I can, next month.

Cheers :-)
Wed, Mar 9 2016 08:37am CST 6
Doug Boyle
Doug Boyle
168 Posts
Michael, If it's not too late in the season, a gaggle of Trike pilots will be heading South in September. The general route from the Mid-Atlantic states will be East towards the Outer Banks of NC then south through Atlanta, GA, towards the Florida Panhandle, then south again down the Florida Coast along the Gulf, then East across the state to Daytona Beach area, then North up the coast to Savannah, and West to attend Tripple Tree event in Spartanburg, SC around Labor Day.
Tue, Apr 19 2016 04:11pm CDT 7
Michael Stalker
Michael Stalker
4 Posts
Thanks for the flight at SunNFun Doug :-)

1-DSCN0138.JPG
Wed, May 4 2016 03:23pm CDT 8
tom speirs
tom speirs
59 Posts
Hi
I'm in Florida right now ...... Trike is park red at an airport in Punta Gorda ,never got to fun. Sun due to medical stuff .where you at ,still planning to fly your adventure
Tom

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.