Anyone here paramotor?

Mon, Aug 18 2014 11:24am CDT 1
Isaac Adamie
Isaac Adamie
45 Posts
Just curious. They seen like a lot of hassle to keep in tip top shape with lines stretching and shrinking and a million little pieces to remember but they're interesting. Just curious if anyone here flies them. Being able to take them on a plane is really cool. I've spent quite a bit of time living in Korea and Japan and it's one of the few personal aircrafts that you could get away with flying in those countries. I know they let people hike mountains in Japan and glide down sometimes without permits. Probably depends on the area. If anyone here flies them what do you think? How does the experience "and hassle" compare to trikes? I still want a trike, but for the right price I would consider one of these as a first aircraft.
Mon, Aug 18 2014 05:54pm CDT 2
Val Larsen
Val Larsen
3 Posts
I fly a powered parachute (same principle on a larger scale), and it has been deeply enjoyable to fly it. The great advantage of the parawings is that they are one-speed aircraft, so you don't have to pay attention to airspeed and don't have to worry about stalling. That makes them a great aircraft for skimming the ground over fields in the country once you have verified from above there are no hidden wires. A parawing is (especially the PPC) is much easier to fly than a trike but has a narrower range of possible missions, i.e., can't be used for cross-country flying. I have had very few maintenance problems with my PPC--just the usual occasional replacement of wearable parts. My PPC has a Rotax 582, so it is more reliable than most of the smaller PPG motors. But if you lose your motor on these aircraft, you are under parachute coming down pretty much at the normal power down descent rate in a highly maneuverable aircraft. In almost all circumstances, I would rather have an engine out in a PPC than in a trike because stall isn't an issue, they are very maneuverable, and can land in a very small space. Overall, trikes are more fun to fly, but you can't go wrong with a parawing as a step on your path to trike flying.
Tue, Aug 19 2014 07:37am CDT 3
michael nelson
michael nelson
2 Posts
Hi Gent's, I fly both of them but i fly the trike more because I don't need to be directly into the wind. I don't have to worrie about the wing clausping,thermals tying it in a knot,wing getting all wet from the morning dew when I land. Yes you can land in a smaller spot. and yes you can stall a parawing Just my 2 cents worth
Sun, Jan 17 2016 03:32pm CST 4
Diego Jordano
Diego Jordano
7 Posts
Hello, I'm new tho the forum. Although this is an old thread, I'd like to comment. I've got an Air Creation BTBI trike with a Rotax 503, the wing is a Mild 16. But I fly a lot with my powered paraglider. The engine is a Snap 100, the paraglider is a SKY Atis 3 and it is excellent, performant and very safe. PPG is quite different to flying the trike, it is slow and you can fly really low if you want to. You can take it in the car to go flying to different locations. You can also fly very close to your frinds. An engine failure is not a big deal becasue you just soar an land almost anywhere at very low speed. However, my trusty Snap has never let my down in 7 years and 371 hours of flight.
If you want to get an idea of how it feels like, please watch any of my videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/cdcordobaparamotor/videos
Sun, Jan 17 2016 07:30pm CST 5
tom speirs
tom speirs
59 Posts
I fly paragliders paramotors hangliders ......want to get a gyro will fly anything I can get my hands on
Tom

Thu, Mar 17 2016 03:35pm CDT 6
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
I switched from Paramotor to Trike. Hated being the Landing Gear.

Seeing an aircraft land badly usally involves some bounces down the runway.
Bad landing my paramotor involves me bounces my ass down the runway. or going ass over kettle.

Thu, Mar 17 2016 03:36pm CDT 7
Michael Reiter
Michael Reiter
25 Posts
Video of some low and sloooooooooooow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWeiHeJZbU4
Sat, Apr 9 2016 04:40pm CDT 8
William  Voelkerding
William Voelkerding
4 Posts
I thought the Trike Buggy Transformer would be perfect. It can take a wing a fly as a trike or you can put a Para wing and it becomes a PPG trike. I emailed them before I bought my ATF they said they stopped making them due to lack of demand.
Trike pro:
  • Faster
  • Don't have to worry about the wing "snagging"
Cons
  • Wing folded up takes up space

Ppg pro
  • Wing can go in a big duffle
  • Slower
Cons:
  • Not as good at off runway landing ( I live in northern AZ, lots of sticks, rocks, bushes)

Sat, Apr 9 2016 06:30pm CDT 9
Val Larsen
Val Larsen
3 Posts
I wouldn't count landing off runway as a con for the powered parachute or powered paraglider. Both can be landed on a much smaller piece of ground than a trike can. They are slower and more maneuverable at slow speeds because one doesn't have to worry about getting too slow and stalling the wing. Landing in inconvenient places is a definite positive for the parawings, especially for the powered paraglider where legs are the landing gear.

Now taking off from terrain with bushes and sticks, that is a definite con for the parawings because the wing might rip while it is being launched from the ground if it snags on rough terrain.

Sat, Apr 16 2016 08:44pm CDT 10
Fred Rafilson
Fred Rafilson
30 Posts
I started with PPG. Flew one for years. Fun but a huge PITA and you can't fly in anything but very light wind. Portable, sure, 60lbs on your back for launch is no fun. Can't take a passenger. Trike is SO much better of a flying experience. Don't waste your time or money. Get a trike and a hangar and you are done. 5 minutes from the time you get to your hangar till you are airborne.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.